Age-Grading for Masters Swimmers

If you have a free moment, please check out an article/proposal of sorts that I wrote for the USMS website. You can find it here: www.usms.org/.../articledisplay.php I realize it's a bit lengthy, but I think it's an idea that could really help motivate swimmers to keep at it over the lifespan. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Parents
  • Hi Jim - Very interesting metric. It took me a long time to wade through it, so you might want to tighten it up by removing info that is interesting, but not essential. I will respond to the questions at the end when I spend more time thinking about it. When I was discussing my comments with Mary Beth, I realized that I did not fully understand how the metric works. I do think there has to be strong consideration for using the median time of the Top 10 or Top 50 in each event and each course. The reason is because, for the most part, the records are set by elite swimmers. Since I believe elite swimmers are genetically different than the rest of us, they will always have an advantage over the rest of us. Yes, there are exceptions. BUT, in general, it holds true. Maybe we have to create a Grand Masters category like Synchronized Swimming has. :) More to come. Paul Windrath
  • Hi Jim - Very interesting metric. It took me a long time to wade through it, so you might want to tighten it up by removing info that is interesting, but not essential. I will respond to the questions at the end when I spend more time thinking about it. When I was discussing my comments with Mary Beth, I realized that I did not fully understand how the metric works. I do think there has to be strong consideration for using the median time of the Top 10 or Top 50 in each event and each course. The reason is because, for the most part, the records are set by elite swimmers. Since I believe elite swimmers are genetically different than the rest of us, they will always have an advantage over the rest of us. Yes, there are exceptions. BUT, in general, it holds true. Maybe we have to create a Grand Masters category like Synchronized Swimming has. :) More to come. Paul Windrath
Children
No Data