incorporating underwater dolphin kicks into my workouts

New swimmer....trying to learn other strokes, I want to integrate some underwater dolphin kicking into my workout and was wondering if anyone has some sets or a workout that incorporates these...?
Parents
  • Thanks @67King, for the reference to my online workouts! As you mention, I incorporate UDK work into every practice. Tom Shields, arguably one of the best UDK swimmers, mentioned once that he did 400-yards of UDK work at EVERY PRACTICE, so I decided to follow suit. I have four sets that I typically work through: #1: 8 x 50s on 1:15 with fins. The first 25 is UNDERWATER (odds on stomach / evens on back) and the return 25 is on the surface (on back). #2: 16 x 25s on :45 with fins. Alternate stomach and back by 25. #3: 16 x 25s on :45 NO FINS with 15M underwater (about 14 kicks for me) and the remaining 10M easy swim. Alternate stomach and back by 25. #4: 16 x 25s on :45 NO FINS as four times through this sequence: A: 2 underwater dolphin kicks, 8 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing B: 4 underwater dolphin kicks, 6 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing C: 6 underwater dolphin kicks, 4 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing D: 8 underwater dolphin kicks, 2 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing At the end of #4, I like to do a 200 free (straight through) with the same UDK sequence off of each wall. I eliminate the fast strokes...all the swimming is easy: I just try to make the kicks. #1 and #2 are more about breath control, so my kicking is relaxed. On #3 and #4, my kicking is fast and for speed. Hope that helps. Mark
  • Thanks @67King, for the reference to my online workouts! As you mention, I incorporate UDK work into every practice. Tom Shields, arguably one of the best UDK swimmers, mentioned once that he did 400-yards of UDK work at EVERY PRACTICE, so I decided to follow suit. I have four sets that I typically work through: #1: 8 x 50s on 1:15 with fins. The first 25 is UNDERWATER (odds on stomach / evens on back) and the return 25 is on the surface (on back). #2: 16 x 25s on :45 with fins. Alternate stomach and back by 25. #3: 16 x 25s on :45 NO FINS with 15M underwater (about 14 kicks for me) and the remaining 10M easy swim. Alternate stomach and back by 25. #4: 16 x 25s on :45 NO FINS as four times through this sequence: A: 2 underwater dolphin kicks, 8 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing B: 4 underwater dolphin kicks, 6 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing C: 6 underwater dolphin kicks, 4 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing D: 8 underwater dolphin kicks, 2 fast strokes without breathing, then ez to the wall with breathing At the end of #4, I like to do a 200 free (straight through) with the same UDK sequence off of each wall. I eliminate the fast strokes...all the swimming is easy: I just try to make the kicks. #1 and #2 are more about breath control, so my kicking is relaxed. On #3 and #4, my kicking is fast and for speed. Hope that helps. Mark
Children
No Data