Shoulder pain/discomfort

Probably the age old question: About 3 months ago I began to add more and more freestyle (crawl) to my swimming workouts in preparation for an open water event. Sounds stupid, but it is not my favorite stroke, I am more centered and comfortable with breaststroke. I am sure because of poor technique I may have re-injured my left shoulder, same shoulder that used to give me problems in high school and college swimming years and years ago. I have not been swimming for close to two months, been on some steroids and NSAID's as well. Still have a little discomfort with the full range of motion, but thinking that I could get back into the water for some workouts. I am in my 50's, and because of an Achilles injury I rely on swimming for my exercise (and sanity). People I work with REALLY want me to get back into the pool as well.... something about being grumpy :-) Suggestions for returning to my routine? Before I did whatever I did I was a 6-10K a day swimmer, two days a week and 5-6K, three days a week. Thoughts?
Parents
  • Note the article says Eddie Ames also got physical therapy. Absolutely. In the context of an injury, the main goal of a stroke coach is to find the root cause of the injury by analyzing the swimmers' stroke, and attempt to correct it. Ideally, this would be achieved *before* an injury occurs, or at least when the injury is minor and can be addressed by a stroke modification. However, when an injury progresses to the point of surgical consideration, all available options must be utilized, including physical therapists and orthopedic consultants. Once again, the ultimate goal is to improve technique to avoid injury or to assist in injury recovery. This is difficult to achieve in a team workout setting. Try to work one on one with someone proficient in stroke technique, whether that is your coach or a separate swim consultant.
  • Note the article says Eddie Ames also got physical therapy. Absolutely. In the context of an injury, the main goal of a stroke coach is to find the root cause of the injury by analyzing the swimmers' stroke, and attempt to correct it. Ideally, this would be achieved *before* an injury occurs, or at least when the injury is minor and can be addressed by a stroke modification. However, when an injury progresses to the point of surgical consideration, all available options must be utilized, including physical therapists and orthopedic consultants. Once again, the ultimate goal is to improve technique to avoid injury or to assist in injury recovery. This is difficult to achieve in a team workout setting. Try to work one on one with someone proficient in stroke technique, whether that is your coach or a separate swim consultant.
Children
No Data