Shoulder pain/discomfort

Probably the age old question: About 3 months ago I began to add more and more freestyle (crawl) to my swimming workouts in preparation for an open water event. Sounds stupid, but it is not my favorite stroke, I am more centered and comfortable with breaststroke. I am sure because of poor technique I may have re-injured my left shoulder, same shoulder that used to give me problems in high school and college swimming years and years ago. I have not been swimming for close to two months, been on some steroids and NSAID's as well. Still have a little discomfort with the full range of motion, but thinking that I could get back into the water for some workouts. I am in my 50's, and because of an Achilles injury I rely on swimming for my exercise (and sanity). People I work with REALLY want me to get back into the pool as well.... something about being grumpy :-) Suggestions for returning to my routine? Before I did whatever I did I was a 6-10K a day swimmer, two days a week and 5-6K, three days a week. Thoughts?
Parents
  • I’ve had a couple of bouts with shoulder pain which have turned out to be impingement syndrome. After consultation with a sports MD and the “cortisone cocktail”, I was advised to breathe to my non-breathing side...yes, very awkward, but good for you. You instantaneously find your flaws and receive relief from your pain. At first, you might be slower, but as you find your balance, you’ll get faster. And going forward, you’ll be able to breathe to both sides and watch your competition.
  • I’ve had a couple of bouts with shoulder pain which have turned out to be impingement syndrome. After consultation with a sports MD and the “cortisone cocktail”, I was advised to breathe to my non-breathing side...yes, very awkward, but good for you. You instantaneously find your flaws and receive relief from your pain. At first, you might be slower, but as you find your balance, you’ll get faster. And going forward, you’ll be able to breathe to both sides and watch your competition.
Children
No Data