Water Temperature

Greetings, I am a regular distance swimmer, 3 - 6 miles a week. At my current YMCA pool they keep the water temperature at 82 - 83. That is fine. It takes 30 - 45 seconds to adjust after jumping into the water. Swimming, no problem, 2700 yards yesterday. However, we are in the process of relocating to another part of our metropolitan area, Columbus, OH. I checked out the pool in the new area the other day-- the water is Cold. I swam a thousand yards, and was cold the whole time. I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I was told by their aquatics director that they keep the temp at 80 degrees for competitive swimming. Well, it is cold. I am also a 69 year old Heart Patient. I may be more susceptible to cold since my heart attack and bypass surgery 19 months ago. Not sure. I am wondering if others give much thought to water temperature or if they ever have problems with it being too cold. Thanks Skip Cornett Columbus, OH
Parents
  • This is a question that often stirs up controversy! Of course, there are individual factors that will determine what the "ideal" water temperature is - but as some of the forumites have mentioned, the USA Swimming/FINA mandate is that a pool temperature between 77 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit is mandated for competitive swimming. That's generally the ideal temperature. But temperatures at pools, in many instances, will depend upon the clientele. If the pool is geared more towards lap/competitive swimmers, the temperature will be within the mandated limits. If it's for general use, it will normally be kept higher. The best facilities are those with two pools held at different temperatures for different uses. The most challenging situation is actually when the pool temperature is too warm. If the pool is too warm, you need to stay vigilant, adjust your workout, and keep hydrated. If it's too cold, as others have suggested, you can wear a cap, earplugs and even if necessary a light wetsuit.
  • This is a question that often stirs up controversy! Of course, there are individual factors that will determine what the "ideal" water temperature is - but as some of the forumites have mentioned, the USA Swimming/FINA mandate is that a pool temperature between 77 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit is mandated for competitive swimming. That's generally the ideal temperature. But temperatures at pools, in many instances, will depend upon the clientele. If the pool is geared more towards lap/competitive swimmers, the temperature will be within the mandated limits. If it's for general use, it will normally be kept higher. The best facilities are those with two pools held at different temperatures for different uses. The most challenging situation is actually when the pool temperature is too warm. If the pool is too warm, you need to stay vigilant, adjust your workout, and keep hydrated. If it's too cold, as others have suggested, you can wear a cap, earplugs and even if necessary a light wetsuit.
Children
No Data