Should you swim with sore shoulders?

If you have some inflammation and discomfort in the shoulders from overuse, should you continue swimming to maintain ROM and some conditioning or do zero for a few weeks? This is for a HS swimmer who is coming back from a year off and went right into daily training.
Parents
  • That sounds right to me. Adjust workout, ice after etc. he is going to start back up in about a week from two weeks of rest. I couldn’t overrule my wife and doctor. Now he knows, I hope, to ramp in the work and effort. In all honesty, his freestyle technique is some of the best I’ve seen, so the inflamation is not from bad technique. I would have had him kicking and doing breastroke which in my experience is not hard on shoulders, especially if you just scull.
  • That sounds right to me. Adjust workout, ice after etc. he is going to start back up in about a week from two weeks of rest. I couldn’t overrule my wife and doctor. Now he knows, I hope, to ramp in the work and effort. In all honesty, his freestyle technique is some of the best I’ve seen, so the inflamation is not from bad technique. I would have had him kicking and doing breastroke which in my experience is not hard on shoulders, especially if you just scull.
Children
No Data