Underwater swimming with new Atlantis stroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, I am French man 51 years old and I present you a new underwater stroke named "Atlantis" to swim like and with the Dolphins. This is not a "Dolphin Kick" stroke, because arms are propulsive in the body undulation. Dolphin Kick is more speed than Atlantis after the starting push, but without this push, Atlantis stroke is more speed. For example, if you swim a 25m underwater in Olympic swimming pool without push on the wall, Atlantis is the fastest. You can do the test to verify that. You can see the videos 50m Atlantis in 25m swimming pool (not 25 yards) in 26.80 without training at 30 years old and my size is only 1.70m. My best time in Olympic pool is 25.21 with Atlantis stroke and 27.30 with front crawl. 20m Dolphin kick for start added to 30m Atlantis for finish in the 50m underwater will permit to swim under 20 seconds. 50m in 26.80 www.youtube.com/watch 100m in 1.04.50 but a already swam under 1'00. www.youtube.com/watch Turning www.youtube.com/watch Diving www.youtube.com/watch Breathing www.youtube.com/watch Yes I know, this is not a classic swimming surface, but you can use in your training for a better hypoxia capacity. A kind of butterfly underwater. Goodbye
  • Fascinating! I love how the possibility of an ultimate swimming stroke may not yet have been discovered. Do you think it is faster to have your arms on your sides like that? I am not exactly sure what propulsion your arms are adding. Perhaps a bit of sculling with the hands? I wonder if this is sufficient to overcome the additional drag and the diminished hull length? You should try to talk some world champions into trying this to test the limits of your concept.
  • :applaud::applaud::applaud: That was AWESOME! I thoroughly enjoyed watching those videos; it was poetry in motion. :bow:
  • So has anyone perfected the "back Atlantis" stroke yet? Dan
  • Very interesting and fun. Hull length isn't an issue as that is only important for wave drag and underwater you don't have wave drag. It will, of course get you get you DQd as you are going over15M underwater and going back under after you surface.
  • Never thought kicking with arms back could be so fast. I assume after a series of dolphin kicks with a powerful pullout you should be swimming faster than any other stroke at that point, but how do you handle the drag after that, especially for LC 50m? Also, how did your ears handle those depths without pressurizing?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks for your answers and your interest. ...Do you think it is faster to have your arms on your sides like that? I am not exactly sure what propulsion your arms are adding... For me YES, but I don't know if this is a generality for everyone. Resent test for me at 51 years hold for 25m start into the water with time approximately: Dolphin kick 17.50 Atlantis 15.00 I am not exactly sure what propulsion your arms are adding. Perhaps a bit of sculling with the hands? I wonder if this is sufficient to overcome the additional drag and the diminished hull length? You are right for the swimmers like below, but Atlantis stroke is different. www.youtube.com/watch You should try to talk some world champions into trying this to test the limits of your concept. Good idea. Do you have a name ? You can also test by yourself. 11380
  • Former Member
    Underwater swimming study: Performance levels over 25 m for two underwater swimming techniques (carangiform- and anguilliform-like swimming) were compared in 11 national-level, competitive swimmers. Several indicators of propulsive efficiency were recorded: leg oscillation frequency and amplitude, head oscillation amplitude and the Strouhal number (St). Video analysis suggested that head movement amplitude correlates with performance levels in anguilliform-like swimming (dolphin kicking with the arms alongside the trunk). However, analysis of St did not lead to the expected results in our evaluation of carangiform-like swimming (i.e. conventional dolphin kicking, with the arms stretched out in front). Although the anguilliform-like technique is not used in competitive swimming, it turned out to be as effective in our swimmers (despite the lack of prior practice) as the carangiform-like technique. This paper discusses the relevance of two techniques inspired by the animal kingdom and which are vying to become the "fifth stroke".
  • Former Member
    French version: Comparaison des performances de 11 experts sur 25 mètres usant de techniques de nage anguilliform et caranguiform. Luc COLLARD#, Emmanuel AUVRAY#, Ivan BELLAUNAY# Résumé Les vitesses de nage sur 25m dans deux techniques d’immersion – style caranguiform et style anguilliform – sont comparées chez 11 nageurs nationaux. Plusieurs indicateurs d’efficience propulsive complètent l’étude : fréquence et amplitude d’oscillations des jambes, amplitude du mouvement de la tête, Strouhal number (St). Le décryptage vidéo des prestations tend à montrer que l’amplitude des mouvements de la tête participe de la performance en style anguilliform (ondulations du corps, bras collés aux cuisses). De son côté, l’utilisation du St n’apporte pas les résultats escomptés dans l’évaluation de la nage en style caranguiform (ondulations du corps, bras devant collés aux oreilles). Bien qu’ignoré de la natation sportive, le style anguilliform se révèle – sans entraînement préalable – aussi performant que le style caranguiform. Ce papier discute de la pertinence de ces techniques inspirées du règne animal qui briguent la place de « cinquième nage ».
  • Very interesting. A great kick is needed to keep speed up. I will try this soon.
  • Former Member
    Maybe a new Fifth Stroke race with a prize to win: https://www.la5enage.com/