first meet....can't jump in from blocks :)

I basically started seriously swimming this past May at 51 y/o.....I swam five 5k's and a 10k this summer and finally hooked up with a master team to start figuring out how to really learn how to swim and learn the strokes. Anyway, I need to swim with ear plugs, just no way around it, I've tried without and always end up with swimmers ear or an actual ear infection. I've tried jumping from the blocks, and I can't do it without losing my ear plugs. I've been told that masters do not have to start from the blocks, but at my first meet this upcoming Sunday in Munster, IN, who do I inform that I want to start in the pool, or do I even have to? I'm trying a 500 and 1650, starting from the blocks is probably more important for the 500 than the 1650. Any advice would be very helpful Thanks
Parents
  • Sometimes keeping goggles sealed means going through dozens of low profile styles until you find the right one. Regarding ears, I suffered throughout my first 8 years of swimming with ear problems with numerous trips to the doctor. Found out the earplugs were the cause and the contact with water was just a catalyst. Little over a year ago I just quit using ear plugs altogether and use a cap for every swim. After swimming I rinse with a few drops of a homemade mixture (1 part everclear, 1 part vinegar, small portion of glycerin). Have not had any ear trouble since.
  • Sometimes keeping goggles sealed means going through dozens of low profile styles until you find the right one. Regarding ears, I suffered throughout my first 8 years of swimming with ear problems with numerous trips to the doctor. Found out the earplugs were the cause and the contact with water was just a catalyst. Little over a year ago I just quit using ear plugs altogether and use a cap for every swim. After swimming I rinse with a few drops of a homemade mixture (1 part everclear, 1 part vinegar, small portion of glycerin). Have not had any ear trouble since.
Children
No Data