first meet....can't jump in from blocks :)

I basically started seriously swimming this past May at 51 y/o.....I swam five 5k's and a 10k this summer and finally hooked up with a master team to start figuring out how to really learn how to swim and learn the strokes. Anyway, I need to swim with ear plugs, just no way around it, I've tried without and always end up with swimmers ear or an actual ear infection. I've tried jumping from the blocks, and I can't do it without losing my ear plugs. I've been told that masters do not have to start from the blocks, but at my first meet this upcoming Sunday in Munster, IN, who do I inform that I want to start in the pool, or do I even have to? I'm trying a 500 and 1650, starting from the blocks is probably more important for the 500 than the 1650. Any advice would be very helpful Thanks
Parents
  • Once in a while, I do have the opportunity to dive off from the deck at the pool where I practice. And it took me several test dives to realize that regardless how tight my googles were, even when the straps are under the caps, my chin is tucked, my googles would always slip off. Turns out, its the goggles I was using. So I got a different set of googles and they stay on when I dive in. They have become my default goggles during swim meets.
  • Once in a while, I do have the opportunity to dive off from the deck at the pool where I practice. And it took me several test dives to realize that regardless how tight my googles were, even when the straps are under the caps, my chin is tucked, my googles would always slip off. Turns out, its the goggles I was using. So I got a different set of googles and they stay on when I dive in. They have become my default goggles during swim meets.
Children
No Data