Looking for online resources to improve freestyle swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys, New swimmer here. I swam little while being a kid and only recently started learning freestyle swimming. In my 30s now. Absolutely loving it so far. Slowly all elements are coming together but still need a lot of improvement I feel. Unfortunately at the moment I have no access to a live coach and want to ask you guys what are the best online resources, videos etc. that could help me gain better insights to become better in freestyle swimming. Looking forward in reading your replies. Ben
Parents
  • Hi Ben, I am a beginner much like you (but OLDER!!!) I can't offer many insights or tips, but, wanted to say "Welcome!" I look at YouTube a lot in general, so when it came to swimming, I also looked there, and there are some good videos to be found there. I think at first I started watching a swimmer who posts a lot of reviews and sometimes some drill ideas (SwimLifeGuru), but branched out as I noticed topics here on the forums. For example, when I saw the threads about Total Immersion, the late Terry Laughlin's approach, I found some helpful videos about the approach on YouTube. I've also watched a few of the real pro's races and advice videos. They are nothing if not inspiring! I came from a vacation swimming background, no school swimming, and as my grandchildren took swim lessons over the summer, I joined their pool, and gradually became more and more interested in 'really swimming' (in contrast to paddling around). I have finally found a swim class (I've posted a couple blog posts about it - I've only had 2 sessions so far). The class has helped me a whole lot, mainly with my breathing questions. If you can possibly find something in your area, I would urge you to give that a try whenever you are able. I had read and watched a lot about breathing but nothing clicked, for me, until my first lesson. Congratulations on discovering swimming as an adult! I love it, too!!
  • Hi Ben, I am a beginner much like you (but OLDER!!!) I can't offer many insights or tips, but, wanted to say "Welcome!" I look at YouTube a lot in general, so when it came to swimming, I also looked there, and there are some good videos to be found there. I think at first I started watching a swimmer who posts a lot of reviews and sometimes some drill ideas (SwimLifeGuru), but branched out as I noticed topics here on the forums. For example, when I saw the threads about Total Immersion, the late Terry Laughlin's approach, I found some helpful videos about the approach on YouTube. I've also watched a few of the real pro's races and advice videos. They are nothing if not inspiring! I came from a vacation swimming background, no school swimming, and as my grandchildren took swim lessons over the summer, I joined their pool, and gradually became more and more interested in 'really swimming' (in contrast to paddling around). I have finally found a swim class (I've posted a couple blog posts about it - I've only had 2 sessions so far). The class has helped me a whole lot, mainly with my breathing questions. If you can possibly find something in your area, I would urge you to give that a try whenever you are able. I had read and watched a lot about breathing but nothing clicked, for me, until my first lesson. Congratulations on discovering swimming as an adult! I love it, too!!
Children
No Data