Is it possible to gain weight with swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Greetings ! I am 23 year old, male, about 150 pounds ( 68kg ), 6 feet and 2 inches ( 188 cm ). I want to start something because all day i just at home, at work or at school. I need some kind of sport. I choosed swimming because i have hemmorhoid, so i can't really lift weights or anything. Actually, i really fond of swimming. My problem is that as you may see 150 pounds is pretty low for 6 feet and 2 inches. I want to gain some weight / muscle at least to be 72 kg or something. But i don't want to get chubby, or something. I know that swimming is more of a cardiovascular activity than muscle and mass building one but is it possible with proper food, and technique to gain weight / muscle and to reach 72 kg? What should i expect? Thanks in advance !
  • Yes. If you want to add weight, eat more. Make sure you get enough protein. You should not have to eat a gigantic amount to be able to gain weight at 6'2" 150 unless you are swimming 20 hours a week. Add some weight training (compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, pressing) when your hemorrhoid gets better. Doesn't have to be heavy to add muscle. Source: Experience. I got into college at 6'1" 140, swam through college and got out at 6'1" 175. I'm bigger now at age 28, but that's after 5 years of fairly dedicated weightlifting before I got back in the pool.
  • Muscle will weigh more that fat. At your present weight, I don't think you will get "chubby" if you put on a few pounds. Why do want to gain weight? If you swim you will be more fit as you enjoy the sport.
  • Definitely yes. I started swimming after my 3rd child to lose weight. I did initially lose it fast, but as I got faster and my yardage increased, I started eating more. I now eat eggs and have protein shakes. And I got fins for kicking drills and paddles for pulling. Since then, my weight has gone back up to where I was when I first started swimming. I decided to not weigh myself, I only know my current weight because I went to the doctor for an annual visit. Though my weight has gone up, I can definitely see that I've toned up. And I can't fit some clothes, not because I've gotten chubby, but because my shoulders have gotten broader and my biceps bigger. I do not do any weights or dryland exercises (I just don't have time), this is all coming from swimming.
  • I'm a middle-aged female who has been swimming regularly for two years. I was already in shape and at my desired weight from 25 years of bicycling, but most of my muscle was lower body. Since taking up swimming, I have developed more muscle in my back and chest as well as more toned abs. This is without significant weight training since I really hate the weight room. The muscle I've developed is in areas that guys usually want to build (women not so much). That was a weight increase from 125 to 127.5 lbs - keeping in mind that I am female and not likely to be as muscular as a male.