New member swim for general fitness question.

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, This is my first post here and I have a few questions. I was a medium distance runner for the past 20 years or so but now my knees have betrayed me so I am looking for an alternative to stay in shape and lose a little weight along the way. I have lifted weights for about as long as I ran and continue to do so so general strength is not a problem. I'm looking to primarily focus on leg work/kicking as I have somewhat neglected working out my lower body since I quit running. Any suggestions as far as workouts and frequency?
Parents
  • No, a kick board isn't for LSD workouts. It's merely a tool for drills to teach your legs and feet what to do when you are really working out. Do 100 yds or so every workout with the board, then get busy actually swimming. The best swimmers derive 10%, maybe 15%, of their propulsion from the kick, the greater portion is in the pull. If you want long aerobic distance, it can be continuous as in scores of laps, or open water 1-2 miles with a Tri Club, or what is touted here most often, many sets of intervals with short rests. Also the breathing you will use while holding on the a kick board is not normal swim stroke breathing, which changes of course depending on the stroke used. While the mile time is the most common measure in running, swim meets prefer to see 1650 times as a test distance because it is the closest you can get to 1500 meters (1508) using a yardage pool. You can go 1750 and be just 10 yards short of a mile to give yourself a good measuring stick, but meet directors tend to turn their noses up at that. Suit type, briefs, square leg briefs, jammers, no difference.
  • No, a kick board isn't for LSD workouts. It's merely a tool for drills to teach your legs and feet what to do when you are really working out. Do 100 yds or so every workout with the board, then get busy actually swimming. The best swimmers derive 10%, maybe 15%, of their propulsion from the kick, the greater portion is in the pull. If you want long aerobic distance, it can be continuous as in scores of laps, or open water 1-2 miles with a Tri Club, or what is touted here most often, many sets of intervals with short rests. Also the breathing you will use while holding on the a kick board is not normal swim stroke breathing, which changes of course depending on the stroke used. While the mile time is the most common measure in running, swim meets prefer to see 1650 times as a test distance because it is the closest you can get to 1500 meters (1508) using a yardage pool. You can go 1750 and be just 10 yards short of a mile to give yourself a good measuring stick, but meet directors tend to turn their noses up at that. Suit type, briefs, square leg briefs, jammers, no difference.
Children
No Data