New member swim for general fitness question.

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, This is my first post here and I have a few questions. I was a medium distance runner for the past 20 years or so but now my knees have betrayed me so I am looking for an alternative to stay in shape and lose a little weight along the way. I have lifted weights for about as long as I ran and continue to do so so general strength is not a problem. I'm looking to primarily focus on leg work/kicking as I have somewhat neglected working out my lower body since I quit running. Any suggestions as far as workouts and frequency?
Parents
  • Hi fitspeech, are you interested in transitioning to swimming as your life sport, or simply getting in a leg workout? If you're interested in swimming as a sport or for fitness, it is great to hear that you want to focus on developing your kick. Your first step will be to make sure that you have proper kicking technique. This is especially important since you mentioned that you have trouble with your knees from running. Consult with a coach who specializes in technique. You will want to also be sure to maintain a balance between your upper and lower body. Here's more on why it's important to get your stroke technique analyzed overall: www.swimspire.com/.../ Good luck!
  • Hi fitspeech, are you interested in transitioning to swimming as your life sport, or simply getting in a leg workout? If you're interested in swimming as a sport or for fitness, it is great to hear that you want to focus on developing your kick. Your first step will be to make sure that you have proper kicking technique. This is especially important since you mentioned that you have trouble with your knees from running. Consult with a coach who specializes in technique. You will want to also be sure to maintain a balance between your upper and lower body. Here's more on why it's important to get your stroke technique analyzed overall: www.swimspire.com/.../ Good luck!
Children
No Data