Break the minute not having swam as a child

Former Member
Former Member
I'm 35 years old 175cm 64kg male self taught swimmer starting from zero 5 years ago. I swam laps for a while, but soon developed interest and passion in swimming fast over short distances and relentless daily practice. I have times in all strokes, but use freestyle as main benchmark. First time I tried to swim short course 100m freestyle I timed around 1:40. Over time this improved to 1:35, 1:27, 1:17 and reached a plateau there. So I went through a year or so of the Starting Strength program, deadlifted 100kg in sets of 5 and squatted 80kg. I began to feel like my body line, explosiveness, starts and push offs improved. Freestyle time didn't improve dramatically, only down to 1:15. At that point I felt I knew plenty about training of energy systems from Olbrecht, so I decided to only focus on improving my pure speed. I take 17 seconds for a push 25 in 18 strokes at 90-100 spm. I followed Boomer's Freestyle Reimagined and took my stroke apart 4 weeks ago. A stroke change is clearly going to take 4 months or years to happen, not 4 weeks, but I am beginning to lose the enjoyment. I am hugely motivated to see myself break the 15sec 25m and ultimately the freestyle minute, and have no idea whether it is possible with no youth swimming background. I posted on the UK Swimming Forum, but had no reply and thought I would post here too in search for tips or similar experiences. Would appreciate any comments! I've seen an adult successfully join an age group program, and haven't tried that myself. I swam with a masters club for 2 years, which was a lot of fun, but these seem to be geared towards fitness and training rather than focused development of speed. Moreover, I am not quite so fast and fit to join some of the higher profile clubs. I've been to see a number of coaches/swimmers for advice, including Swim Smooth, who all had valuable input, but nothing seemed to really point me towards some a big area of improvement. I feel like I might be missing an obvious one. There are definitely areas like "feel for water" and "stroke efficicency" that remain mystical to me despite having read volumes.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    As far as I know there is absolutely NO shortcut. Aerobic conditioning is a HUGE aspect of swimming fast. My point is that it can't be done to the exclusion of everything else with the expectation that one will get faster over all distances. Just me ranting I guess. now back to your regularly scheduled thread... It depends upon the age and the swimmer. I certainly can't do the yardage I did as a kid. On other hand, I know of someone in their 90's that does more yardage than me. I recommend mixing some sprints and moderate and slow swimming and doing other strokes as well, slow to fast. It helps to reduce injury if you do different strokes than free.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    As far as I know there is absolutely NO shortcut. Aerobic conditioning is a HUGE aspect of swimming fast. My point is that it can't be done to the exclusion of everything else with the expectation that one will get faster over all distances. Just me ranting I guess. now back to your regularly scheduled thread... It depends upon the age and the swimmer. I certainly can't do the yardage I did as a kid. On other hand, I know of someone in their 90's that does more yardage than me. I recommend mixing some sprints and moderate and slow swimming and doing other strokes as well, slow to fast. It helps to reduce injury if you do different strokes than free.
Children
No Data