Taking Notes Pool Side to track time and stroke

Former Member
Former Member
I want to know if there is a way to write down notes while your in the pool? Some kind of material than can get wet while being on the side of the pool ? This is my second year swimming with USMS. I usually swim alone, there is'nt a team yet in my town. When I've timed myself with my finger stopwatch/lap counter, I have a hard time remembering my times for various strokes. Also i want to start counting the number of strokes and rate for each of the forms. The only thing I can think of is jumping out, drying my hands and taking notes further away from the pool side where it wont get splashed. Any ideas?
  • You can find smaller and cheaper, but this has served me very well over the years - www.amazon.com/.../. You can use any pencil on it.
  • white erase board on a string slide it far enough away from the edge and pull it back when needed.
  • I'm with PWB on this. I bought this years ago, and when I used up the pencil, I substituted a regular pencil. To erase the writing, I find that rubbing a little bit of white toothpaste (not gel) on it, followed by wiping with a damp paper towel (or rinse with water) takes it right off.
  • I used to use a small Rite-in-the Rain notebook that I kept on deck. That worked ok, except my handwriting could get a bit shaky after a hard set. I now keep my iPhone in a waterproof case poolside and use the "Notes" app to record times and make notes. This morning I wanted to get some baseline numbers on my 200 free, so I took a quick peek at the pace clock to get my 50 splits and then entered them in my phone when I finished before I forgot them. FWIW, Caeleb Dressel is known to be a prodigious note-taker during practice, making notes about how his stroke feels or other things that he wants to make sure he remembers afterwards. Mark
  • Google "rite in the rain". It's basically notebooks and pens designed for use in the field in occupations such as oil and gas exploration and others where you may need to take field notes in less than stellar conditions. I'm not sure how it would up poolside, but it may be your best shot. Some of the products are costly.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I want to know if there is a way to write down notes while your in the pool? Some kind of material than can get wet while being on the side of the pool ? This is my second year swimming with USMS. I usually swim alone, there is'nt a team yet in my town. When I've timed myself with my finger stopwatch/lap counter, I have a hard time remembering my times for various strokes. Also i want to start counting the number of strokes and rate for each of the forms. The only thing I can think of is jumping out, drying my hands and taking notes further away from the pool side where it wont get splashed. Any ideas? $10 to $12 in any scuba diving shop
  • Former Member
    I also use a diving slate to write down splits when I swim on my own. A magic eraser style product works really well to remove your notes.
  • I video record most all my swims and watch it when I get home and time a lot of it as well as look at my stroke to see what I can improve on.
  • Former Member
    You guys are amazing! This gives me a few options to explore! Thank you so much!