New member with an observation

So I have decided to join USMS at the ripe age of 35, after spending the past 12 years teaching myself to swim. I've never been able to be a part of an organized USMS team due to work schedule or being in the middle of po-dunk America with no teams nearby. So with my recent move back from Korea, I now have a good opportunity to train with a team, a real coach, and get good at this. My first observation is this: I suck. I mean I REALLY suck. Everything I thought I had been doing right for the last decade, the coach quickly pointed out everything I was doing wrong. Which is good of course, because I want to learn and do it right and get better. But this is going to be tough, I can tell. My question to everyone is this: Am I unique in the age I join and try to be on an organized team? Is it worth my time and effort to do this?
Parents
  • To all who posted after I did to Slow Poke: . Those were some great posts. Congratulations, 'margo on your progress! Slow Poke, look up the name "Patrick Brundage," and this is what you will see for his results: www.usms.org/.../indresults.php Now, look for his name in the event rankings for the various events he has raced and see where he ranks in his age group: www.usms.org/.../toptimes.php Most of us here on the forums (including me) would be :blush: by this, because we "suck" compared to our peers. Patrick, however, DOESN'T. Go ahead, check it out and see for yourself. Patrick's stories is one of the BEST I have EVER read on the Forums. Thank you, Patrick. I believe we can all take away a lot from what you have written. Meanwhile, 'Poke, I, too, thank you for your service. I am sorry, however, for the way you have been treated. :rantonoff: Cruel remarks are completely unnecessary-- especially if they are not deserved! I am not a big fan of that method of training our troups-- or, anybody, for that matter. Take a look at Coach Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs. I believe you can produce greatness in ways other than by abuse (Think Bobby Knight, for example).:rantonoff: Here on the forums, we will NOT call you every name in the book! We will be the encouraging and positive balance to the abuse you are being dished out by the army brass. :angel: If anybody gives you any &%$# here, I will personally make it my goal to make their life miserable! :D As you said, thanks to all for their input here. I can tell we have some true studs and at least one dud. :) Haha, don't worry about me being yelled at or cussed at. It's not a daily thing. Besides, I joined the military at the age of 31, so I already knew the method to their madness. It's all a mental game. I'm not the type that feels the need to yell to make any point, but I understand those who do. Besides, if new guys can't handle a little toughness in a safe environment, they will crack in a heartbeat in a combat zone. So it's better to expose them then as opposed to when it matters. But actually I haven't been really yelled at in a few years now. My last position was in Korea working for some of the top Generals, and instead of ever yelling, it was a totally professional environment that I miss a lot. I would have never played for Bob Knight. I would have played for Mike K or a John Wooden, or even Pat Summitt if she had gone the men's route. Want to guess which of those 4 names have the fewest championships? :) Unfortunately this week has been rough and I will have to take a break from the pool for a couple days. I had a dentist appointment yesterday to replace a crown and instead of being able to replace it, it had decayed so much that all he could do was remove what was left of it. And that took a long painful amount of time. It royally sucked. Afterwards, he told me he wants me on quarters for the next 48 hours and no PT or physical activity (in this case, swim team). So it will have to be next Thursday, Friday before I can don the speedo again in the pool.
  • To all who posted after I did to Slow Poke: . Those were some great posts. Congratulations, 'margo on your progress! Slow Poke, look up the name "Patrick Brundage," and this is what you will see for his results: www.usms.org/.../indresults.php Now, look for his name in the event rankings for the various events he has raced and see where he ranks in his age group: www.usms.org/.../toptimes.php Most of us here on the forums (including me) would be :blush: by this, because we "suck" compared to our peers. Patrick, however, DOESN'T. Go ahead, check it out and see for yourself. Patrick's stories is one of the BEST I have EVER read on the Forums. Thank you, Patrick. I believe we can all take away a lot from what you have written. Meanwhile, 'Poke, I, too, thank you for your service. I am sorry, however, for the way you have been treated. :rantonoff: Cruel remarks are completely unnecessary-- especially if they are not deserved! I am not a big fan of that method of training our troups-- or, anybody, for that matter. Take a look at Coach Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs. I believe you can produce greatness in ways other than by abuse (Think Bobby Knight, for example).:rantonoff: Here on the forums, we will NOT call you every name in the book! We will be the encouraging and positive balance to the abuse you are being dished out by the army brass. :angel: If anybody gives you any &%$# here, I will personally make it my goal to make their life miserable! :D As you said, thanks to all for their input here. I can tell we have some true studs and at least one dud. :) Haha, don't worry about me being yelled at or cussed at. It's not a daily thing. Besides, I joined the military at the age of 31, so I already knew the method to their madness. It's all a mental game. I'm not the type that feels the need to yell to make any point, but I understand those who do. Besides, if new guys can't handle a little toughness in a safe environment, they will crack in a heartbeat in a combat zone. So it's better to expose them then as opposed to when it matters. But actually I haven't been really yelled at in a few years now. My last position was in Korea working for some of the top Generals, and instead of ever yelling, it was a totally professional environment that I miss a lot. I would have never played for Bob Knight. I would have played for Mike K or a John Wooden, or even Pat Summitt if she had gone the men's route. Want to guess which of those 4 names have the fewest championships? :) Unfortunately this week has been rough and I will have to take a break from the pool for a couple days. I had a dentist appointment yesterday to replace a crown and instead of being able to replace it, it had decayed so much that all he could do was remove what was left of it. And that took a long painful amount of time. It royally sucked. Afterwards, he told me he wants me on quarters for the next 48 hours and no PT or physical activity (in this case, swim team). So it will have to be next Thursday, Friday before I can don the speedo again in the pool.
Children
No Data