New member with an observation

So I have decided to join USMS at the ripe age of 35, after spending the past 12 years teaching myself to swim. I've never been able to be a part of an organized USMS team due to work schedule or being in the middle of po-dunk America with no teams nearby. So with my recent move back from Korea, I now have a good opportunity to train with a team, a real coach, and get good at this. My first observation is this: I suck. I mean I REALLY suck. Everything I thought I had been doing right for the last decade, the coach quickly pointed out everything I was doing wrong. Which is good of course, because I want to learn and do it right and get better. But this is going to be tough, I can tell. My question to everyone is this: Am I unique in the age I join and try to be on an organized team? Is it worth my time and effort to do this?
Parents
  • Hello, First of all, thank you for your service. What an inspirational swimming story you have! As waves101 said, one of the best parts about swimming is that there is ALWAYS something to work on. Your 12-year journey towards learning how to swim in the first place is the hard work that you put in towards joining our wonderful sport. It's the journey that counts. From here on out, it'll be about testing yourself, seeing how and what you can do to improve. Hopefully, we at the forum can help you along your swimming path! Best of luck.
  • Hello, First of all, thank you for your service. What an inspirational swimming story you have! As waves101 said, one of the best parts about swimming is that there is ALWAYS something to work on. Your 12-year journey towards learning how to swim in the first place is the hard work that you put in towards joining our wonderful sport. It's the journey that counts. From here on out, it'll be about testing yourself, seeing how and what you can do to improve. Hopefully, we at the forum can help you along your swimming path! Best of luck.
Children
No Data