your average heart rate?

Former Member
Former Member
Does anyone monitor their HR while swimming? I just started. I'm wondering if anyone else is also working out at 90% of their max HR during an 'easy' swim...
Parents
  • I used to breathe every two for freestyle, until a coach pointed out it was affecting the balance of my stroke. He was right, when I went back to breathing every three my stroke became a lot more symmetrical. I’ll alternate between breathing every 2 and 3 depending how I feel. Now that I think about it, I have a feeling the real culprit is ‘drag’ because realistically speaking I’m not the slimmest person for a sport like this and I swim like I’m trying to make the Olympic team haha... I meant every stroke CYCLE, but I'm sure you knew that! I train in a 25-yard pool, so I breathe to the right going down the pool, and to the left coming back. That is one way to balance out your stroke AND get enough air. Breathing any less than that doesn't work for me as a 55-year old. Back in high school, I was perfectly comfortable breathing every 4 strokes, but things sure have changed! :agree:
  • I used to breathe every two for freestyle, until a coach pointed out it was affecting the balance of my stroke. He was right, when I went back to breathing every three my stroke became a lot more symmetrical. I’ll alternate between breathing every 2 and 3 depending how I feel. Now that I think about it, I have a feeling the real culprit is ‘drag’ because realistically speaking I’m not the slimmest person for a sport like this and I swim like I’m trying to make the Olympic team haha... I meant every stroke CYCLE, but I'm sure you knew that! I train in a 25-yard pool, so I breathe to the right going down the pool, and to the left coming back. That is one way to balance out your stroke AND get enough air. Breathing any less than that doesn't work for me as a 55-year old. Back in high school, I was perfectly comfortable breathing every 4 strokes, but things sure have changed! :agree:
Children
No Data