What wetsuit gear for swimming in outdoor pool in TX

Former Member
Former Member
We have a 40 foot pool we built and I love swimming laps in the morning. Usually 100, and I do not kick off so I get sorta of a continuous swim. Anyway, I want to continue to swim throughout the winter. What wetsuit and gear is recommended? Temps normally stay around 40's. I was thinking full wetsuit with gloves and hoodie. I only do *** stroke if that makes any difference. I would appreciate any advice on apparrel. I would like to keep it low of course but iof course want to spend money on something that works. BTW: We have thought about getting the pool heated..that is down the road though. Thanks in advance Joe
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I have 2 surfing wetsuits (shorti and full) and a hood, gloves, and booties; and 3 triathlon - swimming wetsuits (two full and one sleeveless - all by xterra). For swimming, do not buy a wetsuit made for surfing or diving. My recommendation is to start out swimming in a "sleeveless" wetsuit. The xterra Vengeance, Vector, or Vortex are good suits, but there are suits by many others - Blueseventy, Zoot, TYR, to name a few. There are some wetsuit separates (top and bottom) around too, but I've never tried them. If the water temperature drops below about 65>60F, you may want to switch to a full triathlon-swimming wetsuit. There is more shoulder/arm freedom in a sleeveless wetsuit, as compare to a full suit; you are not working your arms against the suit in a sleeveless suit. For me, below about 60F, my face (not my fingers or feet, which are working) gets cold and numbs up. At the end of the season (about now) triathlon wetsuits go on sale to clear them out for next year's models. A good time to buy. If you decide to buy one, carefully checkout the sizing charts before ordering, and when it arrives, try it on carefully. Make sure your nails are cut and nothing snags the suit. They are easily damaged by any sort of sharp object. Google putting on a wetsuit to see how others do it. They should fit tight, no ripples or sags, and it takes time to pull it on and to take it off. Its much harder to put on if you are already wet too. The need for a hood, gloves and booties depends on the person. These items are made for surfers and divers. They are relatively inexpensive so you can try them without spending a lot of money. Breaststroke with boots on may not be possible and gloves may be a significant hindrance too. I think you could swim with a hood on, but they are not made for swimming, so who knows. Wetsuits elevate your body in the water quite a bit and many swimmers don't like them because of the changed body position. Triathletes not use a lots of pool swimming love their wetsuits because of the additional float and confidence in OW. The added float is particularly a problem for Breastroke, cause the legs and feet become elevated and pop out of the water. It will take some adjustment. I"m not sure if a divers weight belt would help with body position, but you could try that if you experience a problem with your Breastroke kick. Wetsuits make you faster because they increase flotation, decrease skin friction, and both reduce drag, so you may get a little help with your workout times and be able to fit in more laps:D Hope this helps with your quest to swim outdoors in your pool year round. Thanks. I got a Xterra Volt. (sleevless) I will see how it works and adjust frrom there. Thanks all
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I have 2 surfing wetsuits (shorti and full) and a hood, gloves, and booties; and 3 triathlon - swimming wetsuits (two full and one sleeveless - all by xterra). For swimming, do not buy a wetsuit made for surfing or diving. My recommendation is to start out swimming in a "sleeveless" wetsuit. The xterra Vengeance, Vector, or Vortex are good suits, but there are suits by many others - Blueseventy, Zoot, TYR, to name a few. There are some wetsuit separates (top and bottom) around too, but I've never tried them. If the water temperature drops below about 65>60F, you may want to switch to a full triathlon-swimming wetsuit. There is more shoulder/arm freedom in a sleeveless wetsuit, as compare to a full suit; you are not working your arms against the suit in a sleeveless suit. For me, below about 60F, my face (not my fingers or feet, which are working) gets cold and numbs up. At the end of the season (about now) triathlon wetsuits go on sale to clear them out for next year's models. A good time to buy. If you decide to buy one, carefully checkout the sizing charts before ordering, and when it arrives, try it on carefully. Make sure your nails are cut and nothing snags the suit. They are easily damaged by any sort of sharp object. Google putting on a wetsuit to see how others do it. They should fit tight, no ripples or sags, and it takes time to pull it on and to take it off. Its much harder to put on if you are already wet too. The need for a hood, gloves and booties depends on the person. These items are made for surfers and divers. They are relatively inexpensive so you can try them without spending a lot of money. Breaststroke with boots on may not be possible and gloves may be a significant hindrance too. I think you could swim with a hood on, but they are not made for swimming, so who knows. Wetsuits elevate your body in the water quite a bit and many swimmers don't like them because of the changed body position. Triathletes not use a lots of pool swimming love their wetsuits because of the additional float and confidence in OW. The added float is particularly a problem for Breastroke, cause the legs and feet become elevated and pop out of the water. It will take some adjustment. I"m not sure if a divers weight belt would help with body position, but you could try that if you experience a problem with your Breastroke kick. Wetsuits make you faster because they increase flotation, decrease skin friction, and both reduce drag, so you may get a little help with your workout times and be able to fit in more laps:D Hope this helps with your quest to swim outdoors in your pool year round. Thanks. I got a Xterra Volt. (sleevless) I will see how it works and adjust frrom there. Thanks all
Children
No Data