What wetsuit gear for swimming in outdoor pool in TX

Former Member
Former Member
We have a 40 foot pool we built and I love swimming laps in the morning. Usually 100, and I do not kick off so I get sorta of a continuous swim. Anyway, I want to continue to swim throughout the winter. What wetsuit and gear is recommended? Temps normally stay around 40's. I was thinking full wetsuit with gloves and hoodie. I only do *** stroke if that makes any difference. I would appreciate any advice on apparrel. I would like to keep it low of course but iof course want to spend money on something that works. BTW: We have thought about getting the pool heated..that is down the road though. Thanks in advance Joe
Parents
  • Interesting...I just walked in the door an hour ago from a visit to TX. Last stop was in Austin and I swam in the Deep Eddy pool there. They told me that pool stays open year-round and they apparently only get temps into the low 30s in the winter there. But, there's still lap swimmers without wetsuits swimming there in Dec/Jan/Feb. I guess the wellwater they refill the pool with every-other-day remains pretty constant around +/- 70 degrees But, it really all depends on your comfort. With those 40-ish air temps, I would think that you'd be OK with a shorty wetsuit, with short sleeves. But...I live/swim in New England so I'm sure our two definitions of "cold swimming" are different. You might be able to go to a sports shop that tends to triathletes and rent various models of wetsuit to see which you prefer, maybe a dive shop. Good luck. Dan
  • Interesting...I just walked in the door an hour ago from a visit to TX. Last stop was in Austin and I swam in the Deep Eddy pool there. They told me that pool stays open year-round and they apparently only get temps into the low 30s in the winter there. But, there's still lap swimmers without wetsuits swimming there in Dec/Jan/Feb. I guess the wellwater they refill the pool with every-other-day remains pretty constant around +/- 70 degrees But, it really all depends on your comfort. With those 40-ish air temps, I would think that you'd be OK with a shorty wetsuit, with short sleeves. But...I live/swim in New England so I'm sure our two definitions of "cold swimming" are different. You might be able to go to a sports shop that tends to triathletes and rent various models of wetsuit to see which you prefer, maybe a dive shop. Good luck. Dan
Children
No Data