what to expect

My masters group is not coached. Only about 10% of what I've learned about starts, strokes and turns was learned from other swimmers and the rest I learned online. I'll be on vacation next month and will swim with a coached masters swim team. I don't know what to expect! I've emailed the coach and he knows my ability level; I think I've bothered him enough. I know they're all different, but tell me what yours is like!
Parents
  • In my group, the coach writes workouts on a white board, w a few different intervals or distances adapted to the different lanes. I'm in the slower lanes. Some pretty fast swimmers, including a college kid in the fast lanes, but the coach is great about giving feedback wherever we are speedwise. He also holds open water swims. They're less structured: he sets up buoys for a 200 yd course which we can swim around as few or as many times as we want in the given time frame of an hour and a half--although he does give some feedback, especially to the newcomers. It's a nice setup, offering open water practice but also a break from the more intense pool workouts. The coach encourages us all to try swim meets and/or open water races, and, in fact, puts on a series of 6 800m open water swims through spring and summer, so those who might find the longer distance swims intimidating can start gently. (Of late, the river current has been not so gentle, so there's that. Still, good opportunity to sample something low key. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • In my group, the coach writes workouts on a white board, w a few different intervals or distances adapted to the different lanes. I'm in the slower lanes. Some pretty fast swimmers, including a college kid in the fast lanes, but the coach is great about giving feedback wherever we are speedwise. He also holds open water swims. They're less structured: he sets up buoys for a 200 yd course which we can swim around as few or as many times as we want in the given time frame of an hour and a half--although he does give some feedback, especially to the newcomers. It's a nice setup, offering open water practice but also a break from the more intense pool workouts. The coach encourages us all to try swim meets and/or open water races, and, in fact, puts on a series of 6 800m open water swims through spring and summer, so those who might find the longer distance swims intimidating can start gently. (Of late, the river current has been not so gentle, so there's that. Still, good opportunity to sample something low key. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Children
No Data