what to expect

My masters group is not coached. Only about 10% of what I've learned about starts, strokes and turns was learned from other swimmers and the rest I learned online. I'll be on vacation next month and will swim with a coached masters swim team. I don't know what to expect! I've emailed the coach and he knows my ability level; I think I've bothered him enough. I know they're all different, but tell me what yours is like!
Parents
  • I've only been to 2 swim meets. Both times, I saw the same 4-5 guys that are on the fast lane (I think we have 30). For the first meet, I was the only female and the only one from the slow lanes. On my 2nd meet, there was a mixed relay, so I managed to convince 3 other ladies around my lane to come join. We had 2 mixed relay teams. The coach also showed up, and before the event, he would tell us the "strategy". I thought you just dive in and swim as fast as possible. He would tell us how many times to breathe, when to warm up/cool down. One guy, he was a collegiate swimmer. I think he's the fastest guy in the team. He shows up in all the meets. The folks in my lane have gone to one meet at some point, but then they haven't gone back since. We have 1-2 folks that are serious marathon swimmers, and 1 serious triathlete (she is trying to be pro). So they do alot of open water events.
  • I've only been to 2 swim meets. Both times, I saw the same 4-5 guys that are on the fast lane (I think we have 30). For the first meet, I was the only female and the only one from the slow lanes. On my 2nd meet, there was a mixed relay, so I managed to convince 3 other ladies around my lane to come join. We had 2 mixed relay teams. The coach also showed up, and before the event, he would tell us the "strategy". I thought you just dive in and swim as fast as possible. He would tell us how many times to breathe, when to warm up/cool down. One guy, he was a collegiate swimmer. I think he's the fastest guy in the team. He shows up in all the meets. The folks in my lane have gone to one meet at some point, but then they haven't gone back since. We have 1-2 folks that are serious marathon swimmers, and 1 serious triathlete (she is trying to be pro). So they do alot of open water events.
Children
No Data