Losing energy real fast when swimming in deeper water

Former Member
Former Member
My question is about freestyle stroke that i am learning at this time. When i try to do a lap, as i go to the deeper side of the pool (5+ ft) i feel very very exhausted. I'm perfectly okay in the less deeper side though (5 ft and below). Is there anything i could be doing incorrectly and losing all my energy? I am unable to finish one lap because i am losing all my energy!
Parents
  • I have a friend who began a short time ago and was very apprehensive in deep water. She took a couple clinics two years ago, which didn't help her anxiety much, but improved her stroke mechanics. She joined our masters team last year and swam various sets and intervals for many months. She finally got comfortable in the pool, then entered a triathlon with a half mile lake swim. She froze with fear as soon as her face hit the water and ended up swimming almost the entire half mile backstroke. Got out of the water dead last, but she did make it. The next week we got into the same lake, same half mile loop, and I told her I'd swim right beside her and keep my eyes on her. She made it the whole way freestyle this time. The process took more than a year, but now she's a very competent swimmer, both pool and open water.
  • I have a friend who began a short time ago and was very apprehensive in deep water. She took a couple clinics two years ago, which didn't help her anxiety much, but improved her stroke mechanics. She joined our masters team last year and swam various sets and intervals for many months. She finally got comfortable in the pool, then entered a triathlon with a half mile lake swim. She froze with fear as soon as her face hit the water and ended up swimming almost the entire half mile backstroke. Got out of the water dead last, but she did make it. The next week we got into the same lake, same half mile loop, and I told her I'd swim right beside her and keep my eyes on her. She made it the whole way freestyle this time. The process took more than a year, but now she's a very competent swimmer, both pool and open water.
Children
No Data