Losing energy real fast when swimming in deeper water

Former Member
Former Member
My question is about freestyle stroke that i am learning at this time. When i try to do a lap, as i go to the deeper side of the pool (5+ ft) i feel very very exhausted. I'm perfectly okay in the less deeper side though (5 ft and below). Is there anything i could be doing incorrectly and losing all my energy? I am unable to finish one lap because i am losing all my energy!
Parents
  • Based on your handle, and your statement, "freestyle stroke that i am learning at this time" I am guessing you are a novice swimmer. Is it possible that the deeper water causes some anxiety that disrupts your regular breathing, leaving you feeling breathless & exhausted? I have a friend who got quite anxious when the water was deep, even after becoming reasonably proficient swimming and was, in my estimation, perfectly safe to venture into deep water, at least from a stroke mechanics and endurance perspective. If this is the case, pay particular attention to your stroke mechanics when venturing into deeper water. Giving your mind something constructive to think about may deter anxiety, and it's always good to work on technique anyway. Mostly just have fun swimming!
  • Based on your handle, and your statement, "freestyle stroke that i am learning at this time" I am guessing you are a novice swimmer. Is it possible that the deeper water causes some anxiety that disrupts your regular breathing, leaving you feeling breathless & exhausted? I have a friend who got quite anxious when the water was deep, even after becoming reasonably proficient swimming and was, in my estimation, perfectly safe to venture into deep water, at least from a stroke mechanics and endurance perspective. If this is the case, pay particular attention to your stroke mechanics when venturing into deeper water. Giving your mind something constructive to think about may deter anxiety, and it's always good to work on technique anyway. Mostly just have fun swimming!
Children
No Data