Kudos to forumite and now English Channel crosser ...

... Kurt Dickson! He swam this overnight and completed this in 10:20. :applaud::agree::bow:
Parents
  • If you could describe your preparation for this I think many of us would be very interested. Well, I think everyone is different. For instance, most people put on weight and I lost about 15 lbs. I tapered for Nationals a few weeks prior which probably was dumb ( I would not have bothered trying to keep my 8 year 200 LCM back streak alive had I known my French nemesis was showing up). Finally, most swim in cold water which was impossible in Arizona (I believe this might have been most helpful). First, you need to plan this bad boy out. It seems to be a 2 year notice to get a boat. My initial choice of pilot said he does not take reservations until one year out. I waited and then panicked about 18 months out and tried to get someone else. As expected, everyone in more prestigious CSA was taken. Leaving me with other organization CSPF (which in my opinion is just as good). Deposits are due around December before you are doing. Final payment on boat. Training wise, I have been preparing about 18 months. I bought a kayak and my wife kayaked a bunch of 5-10 mile swims/races last year. Big test was a 6 hour (14 mile) swim in my local lake in December last year as conditions are similar (at least temperature) to Channel (61). Truly miserable day but confidence builder. This year, I simply upped my mileage to 7000 for many days and a 5-8 miler in the lake once every week or 2. I found tapering for Spring and Summer nationals as well as a brief one for Open water Nationals in Chattanooga was a good break and provided some periodization. Manhattan swim 2 months prior helped build confidence, get some miles in, and was not too close to actual channel attempt. I believe the channel is mostly mental and one thing that kept me going is the realization that there are fair number that do it that are not that great of swimmers (not to sound rude). Perhaps, if I had done more cold water training, it would not have been as hard on me. I'm in awe of the people who are out there for 16 plus hours. Also, I've done a lot of 10 k races over the last several years and believe I've found a pace that I can go for a long time. Those initial 10k at Horsetooth reservoir used to really hurt. Well, hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Super glad to have that one under my belt:).
  • If you could describe your preparation for this I think many of us would be very interested. Well, I think everyone is different. For instance, most people put on weight and I lost about 15 lbs. I tapered for Nationals a few weeks prior which probably was dumb ( I would not have bothered trying to keep my 8 year 200 LCM back streak alive had I known my French nemesis was showing up). Finally, most swim in cold water which was impossible in Arizona (I believe this might have been most helpful). First, you need to plan this bad boy out. It seems to be a 2 year notice to get a boat. My initial choice of pilot said he does not take reservations until one year out. I waited and then panicked about 18 months out and tried to get someone else. As expected, everyone in more prestigious CSA was taken. Leaving me with other organization CSPF (which in my opinion is just as good). Deposits are due around December before you are doing. Final payment on boat. Training wise, I have been preparing about 18 months. I bought a kayak and my wife kayaked a bunch of 5-10 mile swims/races last year. Big test was a 6 hour (14 mile) swim in my local lake in December last year as conditions are similar (at least temperature) to Channel (61). Truly miserable day but confidence builder. This year, I simply upped my mileage to 7000 for many days and a 5-8 miler in the lake once every week or 2. I found tapering for Spring and Summer nationals as well as a brief one for Open water Nationals in Chattanooga was a good break and provided some periodization. Manhattan swim 2 months prior helped build confidence, get some miles in, and was not too close to actual channel attempt. I believe the channel is mostly mental and one thing that kept me going is the realization that there are fair number that do it that are not that great of swimmers (not to sound rude). Perhaps, if I had done more cold water training, it would not have been as hard on me. I'm in awe of the people who are out there for 16 plus hours. Also, I've done a lot of 10 k races over the last several years and believe I've found a pace that I can go for a long time. Those initial 10k at Horsetooth reservoir used to really hurt. Well, hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Super glad to have that one under my belt:).
Children
No Data