Moving from Competitive Masters Running to Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am in my early 50s have run competitively most of my life. I started swimming when I was 3 years old, but never learned freestyle. Nevertheless, I feel comfortable in the water. For the past few years, my training consisted of an hour of running (7 min/mile easy pace 4 times a week, 8.5 min/mile threshold twice a week.) After my third injury in 18 months (hip labrum tears and a sport hernia) my sports doctor said that I need to drop running and take up swimming. I bought the book "Swim Smooth" and after a 2 -3 weeks learned the basics of freestyle lap swimming. My question is how to best move from where I am now (this month I am working on mastering a the 6-5-6 drill and doing more efficient flip turns) to 60 minutes X 6 days a week of freestyle swimming. Does any one have any suggestions?
Parents
  • Welcome to the pool. You certainly seem like you have the discipline to improve quickly in the pool. I echo the advice to find a team with a coach who will give you ideas and correct your stroke. Of course I have no idea what your stroke looks like but I would bet, based on an entirely unscientific study of masters I swim with who came later in life to the pool, that your body position is the number one thing holding you back. By that I surmise, (i) that your hips are lower than your shoulders, (ii) that you're swimming more with your arms than your core, (iii) and that your stroke efficiency (ie. number of strokes per length of the pool) could improve. I always recommend newer swimmers start with pull buoy and fins (not really at the same time) to address body position. The buoy will raise your hips and the fins will give you the ability to feel what better stroke efficiency is like. I'd consider adding paddles to help you get a better feel for the water as well. anyway, my 2 cents. hope some of it is helpful.
  • Welcome to the pool. You certainly seem like you have the discipline to improve quickly in the pool. I echo the advice to find a team with a coach who will give you ideas and correct your stroke. Of course I have no idea what your stroke looks like but I would bet, based on an entirely unscientific study of masters I swim with who came later in life to the pool, that your body position is the number one thing holding you back. By that I surmise, (i) that your hips are lower than your shoulders, (ii) that you're swimming more with your arms than your core, (iii) and that your stroke efficiency (ie. number of strokes per length of the pool) could improve. I always recommend newer swimmers start with pull buoy and fins (not really at the same time) to address body position. The buoy will raise your hips and the fins will give you the ability to feel what better stroke efficiency is like. I'd consider adding paddles to help you get a better feel for the water as well. anyway, my 2 cents. hope some of it is helpful.
Children
No Data