Moving from Competitive Masters Running to Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I am in my early 50s have run competitively most of my life. I started swimming when I was 3 years old, but never learned freestyle. Nevertheless, I feel comfortable in the water. For the past few years, my training consisted of an hour of running (7 min/mile easy pace 4 times a week, 8.5 min/mile threshold twice a week.) After my third injury in 18 months (hip labrum tears and a sport hernia) my sports doctor said that I need to drop running and take up swimming. I bought the book "Swim Smooth" and after a 2 -3 weeks learned the basics of freestyle lap swimming. My question is how to best move from where I am now (this month I am working on mastering a the 6-5-6 drill and doing more efficient flip turns) to 60 minutes X 6 days a week of freestyle swimming. Does any one have any suggestions?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I would start by incorporating the drills into a formalized workout so that you can learn the technique while accomplishing yardage and the conditioning that comes with it. For workouts I like this book (it's all 4 competitive strokes but there's at least 25 workouts specifically for freestyle). Each workout is around 2000 yards/meters. www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2 PS don't forget to rotate to prevent hurting your shoulders
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I would start by incorporating the drills into a formalized workout so that you can learn the technique while accomplishing yardage and the conditioning that comes with it. For workouts I like this book (it's all 4 competitive strokes but there's at least 25 workouts specifically for freestyle). Each workout is around 2000 yards/meters. www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_2 PS don't forget to rotate to prevent hurting your shoulders
Children
No Data