A somewhat different list of places to swim...

Loudon Wainwright III's list of the best places to swim, an Op-Ed in the NY Times: www.nytimes.com/.../best-places-swim-world.html
  • Yes, I took a lifesaving course at the YMCA in Troy, NY in 1964 and men still swam nude. Problem was, there were two girls in the class, so the staff had to clear the pool and warn everyone that there was a girl in the bldg before we could begin. I swam in the ocean last week in Jamaica, not my favorite.
  • Loudon Wainwright III's list of the best places to swim, an Op-Ed in the NY Times: www.nytimes.com/.../best-places-swim-world.html Hey, thanks for posting. I'm a bit of a Loudon Wainwright fan, didn't know, though, that he was in turn a swimming hole fan!
  • Where in Jamaica? Iberostar resort on the north coast, just 15 minutes from Montego Bay. No special swim lane, just a rope line from one end of their beach to the other. Had to be careful at low tide since some rocks came close to the surface out by the rope line.
  • I swam in the ocean last week in Jamaica, not my favorite. Where in Jamaica? Swam along 7 mile beach in Negril, thought it was pretty nice. Didn't hurt that the resort we were staying at had a ~150M buoyed swim lane out in the ocean. I like East Traverse Bay in Michigan.....in late summer, anyway, when the water has warmed up from "OMG it's cold" to merely chilly.
  • I loved this 'pop-up' pool I found on the island of Milos, Greece ... forums.usms.org/attachment.php ... but the variety of beaches (Sarakiniko being the highlight) on this tiny, tranquil island make it a must-go-to place for any aquatic being.
  • The Rainbow River in Florida. Crystal clear, constant 72 degrees, full of fish to watch while you swim.
  • Lake Titicaca in Peru was the coldest and most clear water I ever swan in. It was also at a crazy high altitude at something like 11,000 feet!
  • Lake Titicaca in Peru was the coldest and most clear water I ever swan in. It was also at a crazy high altitude at something like 11,000 feet! This one will be hard to beat for exotic! Go Oz! Although all of the above sound like winners too! I liked Secret Harbor in St Thomas