Slamming face on water - Breaststroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, am asking for advice on my breaststroke technique. I'm doing the over the water recovery, lunging forward with both arms over the water and shooting forward as much as possible. I try to keep my face downwards and looking at the lane line. However, I still feel the impact of the water hitting my goggles especially, creating uncomfortable suction on my goggles and it doesn't feel great on the rest of my face obviously. However, when I try to duck my head and hit the water with my forehead, I don't feel an impact on my face but it shortens my recovery distance with my arms and negatively affects my time. Any suggestions? Does anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I received feedback on my stroke from David Guthrie at Summer Nats, that I needed to try and smack my goggles on the water. I was landing on my chin during the lunge instead of forehead and not getting into streamline fast enough. When I execute that well, I'm getting my face looking straight down, goggles at or below my arms, and I don't feel too much of a face plant. However, it's definitely a new sensation, and I'm already swimming faster because of it. As you described, I'm using my body/head to throw the arms forward, seeking the coupling motion with the kick. Is the pressure on your goggles uncomfortable? That's the only thing that bothers me after a while. I feel if I tuck my head too much in order to avoid hitting the water with my goggles, it limits my forward motion.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I received feedback on my stroke from David Guthrie at Summer Nats, that I needed to try and smack my goggles on the water. I was landing on my chin during the lunge instead of forehead and not getting into streamline fast enough. When I execute that well, I'm getting my face looking straight down, goggles at or below my arms, and I don't feel too much of a face plant. However, it's definitely a new sensation, and I'm already swimming faster because of it. As you described, I'm using my body/head to throw the arms forward, seeking the coupling motion with the kick. Is the pressure on your goggles uncomfortable? That's the only thing that bothers me after a while. I feel if I tuck my head too much in order to avoid hitting the water with my goggles, it limits my forward motion.
Children
No Data