Cardio help for beginner

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I hope I can get some help here. I have been a scuba dive instructor for over 20 years. I passed a 400m in under 10 minute test back when I was 19. I am becoming an Instructor Trainer and need to pass this test again. I am 42 now and my cardio sucks. I can't even complete 1 lap without stopping. I have a swim coach helping me with my technique and breathing, but what kind of cardio would be good to do when i am not in the pool. Stairmaster, treadmill?
Parents
  • I wouldn't spend much time building cardio on stairmaster or treadmill, unless you absolutely can't get into a pool during that time period. The transfer is not likely to be very substantial. You need to develop cardio in the pool, swimming. Start out swimming just the one lap and repeat on a comfortable interval. the start to decrease the interval, then go for more than one lap at a time until you can go 4-8 lengths or more continuous. Then repeat the 4-8 length distance at shorter and shorter intervals. Use your watch or clock to track your intervals. You may want to have someone coach technique - poor technique will take a lot out of you and you'll be able to build up the lengths faster if you are swimming more efficiently. MY$0.02
  • I wouldn't spend much time building cardio on stairmaster or treadmill, unless you absolutely can't get into a pool during that time period. The transfer is not likely to be very substantial. You need to develop cardio in the pool, swimming. Start out swimming just the one lap and repeat on a comfortable interval. the start to decrease the interval, then go for more than one lap at a time until you can go 4-8 lengths or more continuous. Then repeat the 4-8 length distance at shorter and shorter intervals. Use your watch or clock to track your intervals. You may want to have someone coach technique - poor technique will take a lot out of you and you'll be able to build up the lengths faster if you are swimming more efficiently. MY$0.02
Children
No Data