How to deal with "Aunt Flo" if you're on swim team

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All.....good to be here. I have a 13 year old daughter who LOVES her swim team and the sport of swimming. She's been on swim team since she was 7 years old. Her current team is very competitive and practices every day of the week. She, however, has been having some anxiety lately as she is getting the feeling that dreaded B**** (Aunt Flo) is about to start and wreak havoc on her swim schedule. If my daughter is like me, she may be in for hell. Aunt Flo punished me as a teen with unbearable pain, vomiting and fatigue. I know the obvious answer is "wear a tampon", but according to her doctor you have to find the right tampon that will fit properly, not hurt like hell and have enough absorbancy that she does not bleed out in the pool or on herself (and if that were to happen, her swim career would be over in an instant and I'd have to get her counseling). And, if my daughter has the sickness that I used to get, she may not even make it to the pool as she'll be hanging her head over a toilet. So, for other parents of 13 year olds (and other young teens), what do you do? Does your daughter sit out for a day when Aunt Flo is at her worst? If not, which tampons are the best for a 13 year old?? And what meds/treatments are the best for killing the pain of Aunt Flo?? Thanks.
Parents
  • Like jpetyk said, ibuprofen helps. I used to take it a couple of days before Flo came. As for my daughters who don't swim, they just had to get used to a tampon and my 15 year old uses the smallest ones. Definitely a plastic applicator. I'd say she should change it after an hour if she's afraid it will fill up and leak. Good luck and I hope your daughter is able to get through it well and continue swimming!
  • Like jpetyk said, ibuprofen helps. I used to take it a couple of days before Flo came. As for my daughters who don't swim, they just had to get used to a tampon and my 15 year old uses the smallest ones. Definitely a plastic applicator. I'd say she should change it after an hour if she's afraid it will fill up and leak. Good luck and I hope your daughter is able to get through it well and continue swimming!
Children
No Data