Question about butterfly

Former Member
Former Member
So, I'm a butterfly main that has started swimming about 5 months ago (around feb 2017). I've been looking at world class butterfliers such as michael phelps, joe schooling and etc and i've noticed that their butt always sticks up after the recovery phase but I cant seem to get my butt up. Any tips/suggestions/drills on what I should do to do that?
  • for every motion there is an equal and opposite reaction - Newton's 3rd law of physics to get your hips up, your head must go down!
  • My coach used to yell at me all the time that she wanted to see my butt on every stroke swimming fly. :) You lead with your head, but also focus on pressing your chest and getting a full extension on your first kick. Just be careful not to dive too deep, which will increase drag and force your hips lower during your pull. I like doing the caterpillar drill, dolphin kicking with your arms at your side while focusing on your body undulation. I usually do it with a snorkel so I can keep head in alignment with my torso. I also do a lot of 3-3-3 drills. (three right arm, three left arm, three full strokes).
  • Mark , I will try that drill for my fly that is in need of some work. Thanx
  • Great to hear that you are working diligently on your butterfly! It is hard to tell exactly what the issue might be without actually seeing you (and on that note, feel free to upload videos of your stroke here, as many of the forumites would be glad to offer tips and advice). However, the main question here is: are you completely finishing your kick? If you are finishing, and your hips are still not coming up, then your body position is either too low in the water, with too sharp of an undulation coming from the head/upper body that does not allow your hips to pop up - or you are not timing your kick properly. There are many different drills that will help with the kick timing and position. Good luck and keep on practicing!