Looking for advice on improving my freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I finally got a short video made of me swimming freestyle, and it is a major disappointment with a multitude of issues :( I am in my late 30s and usually swim alone at least 2 - 3 times a week, sometimes more. My breaststroke has improved, so the last 9 months or so I have been trying to learn freestyle on my own. The thing is, I have been really focusing on drills and making sure that I keep my head low with one goggle in the water when breathing. The drill I use the most is kicking on the side with one arm in front. I have to use short fins, since without, I find it quite difficult. When doing this drill, it all feels easy. It feels like I always manage to go straight, keep the head low and one goggle in the water. But then again maybe you can still rotate quite much and believe that one goggle stays in the water. It is of course more difficult without fins, but I thought I had at least some proper head rotation in line with the spine. Another drill I use is single arm freestyle. Now that I look at the video, it all falls apart :( It seems that I both over-rotate and possibly move the head to the side when breathing. I think I am lifting my head too? I thought I had a bit better rotation to my left side, but it seems as crappy as to the right. Not sure if my arm entry is wide enough either, might be slight cross over there too. Yes, my posture is not perfect either. I work a lot in front of a computer, but swimming has done wonders for me. From lurking around, I know people here are very knowledgeable. Thought I would take a chance and ask for some advice on how to improve. I do have plans on doing some one on one sessions with a coach later on. My main focus is technique first, since improvement is my primary passion and it really feels great! My goal is to achieve good swimming technique with some time, even if it requires a lot of work. Here is a link to the somewhat embarrasing video: www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I usually use a kickboard the least possible. But yes, I tried a couple of sets last time to improve my kick, and will do it frequently. I do it only with my head submerged. Btw, I guess not much speed is required to do a proper one goggle breath?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I usually use a kickboard the least possible. But yes, I tried a couple of sets last time to improve my kick, and will do it frequently. I do it only with my head submerged. Btw, I guess not much speed is required to do a proper one goggle breath?
Children
No Data