Looking for advice on improving my freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I finally got a short video made of me swimming freestyle, and it is a major disappointment with a multitude of issues :( I am in my late 30s and usually swim alone at least 2 - 3 times a week, sometimes more. My breaststroke has improved, so the last 9 months or so I have been trying to learn freestyle on my own. The thing is, I have been really focusing on drills and making sure that I keep my head low with one goggle in the water when breathing. The drill I use the most is kicking on the side with one arm in front. I have to use short fins, since without, I find it quite difficult. When doing this drill, it all feels easy. It feels like I always manage to go straight, keep the head low and one goggle in the water. But then again maybe you can still rotate quite much and believe that one goggle stays in the water. It is of course more difficult without fins, but I thought I had at least some proper head rotation in line with the spine. Another drill I use is single arm freestyle. Now that I look at the video, it all falls apart :( It seems that I both over-rotate and possibly move the head to the side when breathing. I think I am lifting my head too? I thought I had a bit better rotation to my left side, but it seems as crappy as to the right. Not sure if my arm entry is wide enough either, might be slight cross over there too. Yes, my posture is not perfect either. I work a lot in front of a computer, but swimming has done wonders for me. From lurking around, I know people here are very knowledgeable. Thought I would take a chance and ask for some advice on how to improve. I do have plans on doing some one on one sessions with a coach later on. My main focus is technique first, since improvement is my primary passion and it really feels great! My goal is to achieve good swimming technique with some time, even if it requires a lot of work. Here is a link to the somewhat embarrasing video: www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • First of all, STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP! :bighug: Your stroke isn't as bad as you say. Actually, there are many good things about it, and it wouldn't take much coaching to get you on the right track. Kudos to you for planning on getting some coaching. That shows you really DO want to improve. :applaud: to you for making the effort to have somebody shoot a video of you and post it here on the forums. (Please tell your videographer they did a great job, too!) I can't tell you how many people I have suggested this to, and we never hear from them again. :bitching: Although I am no expert, I have had enough coaching (and watched TONS of videos!) to spot a few things about your stroke. First, when you turn to breathe, you are lifting your forehead at the same time. You also are turning it too far, as you pointed out. When you breathe, make a point of looking at the side of the pool (underwater!) with the eye/goggle that is supposed to be underwater. If you can see topside with both eyes. you are turning too far! :nono: You have pretty good body position in the water, but see if you can press you chest down between shoulders and keep you hips up, so you are swimming at a downhill angle. Less knee bend in your kick will help. Try to think of having a small kick (less up and down) and keeping your big toes next to each other as you kick. Kick from your hips rather than the knees. Your arm recovery is beautiful! I notice your hands tend to bend up at the wrist at the end of the recovery though. Try to keep your wrist higher than your fingertips. Otherwise, the entry is nice and smooth, and you have a good reach before you hand enters the water. On the pull, good for you; you are keeping your elbows bent. At the end of the pull, your hands are turning toward your body, though, so you are losing out on that last push of water. Think about keeping your palms facing BACK, rather than towards your body. These are just a few tips for now. Whatever you do, DON'T try to fix everything all at once. Pick one think to work on or several laps before you switch to another. If you try to fix it all at once, you will just get frustrated! Over all, you are a lot better swimmer than the majority of adults out there in the world. 37% of adults can't even swim the length of a pool, so you are way beyond that! Please stick with us here on the Forums, because you will learn a lot! Good luck! :cheerleader:
  • First of all, STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP! :bighug: Your stroke isn't as bad as you say. Actually, there are many good things about it, and it wouldn't take much coaching to get you on the right track. Kudos to you for planning on getting some coaching. That shows you really DO want to improve. :applaud: to you for making the effort to have somebody shoot a video of you and post it here on the forums. (Please tell your videographer they did a great job, too!) I can't tell you how many people I have suggested this to, and we never hear from them again. :bitching: Although I am no expert, I have had enough coaching (and watched TONS of videos!) to spot a few things about your stroke. First, when you turn to breathe, you are lifting your forehead at the same time. You also are turning it too far, as you pointed out. When you breathe, make a point of looking at the side of the pool (underwater!) with the eye/goggle that is supposed to be underwater. If you can see topside with both eyes. you are turning too far! :nono: You have pretty good body position in the water, but see if you can press you chest down between shoulders and keep you hips up, so you are swimming at a downhill angle. Less knee bend in your kick will help. Try to think of having a small kick (less up and down) and keeping your big toes next to each other as you kick. Kick from your hips rather than the knees. Your arm recovery is beautiful! I notice your hands tend to bend up at the wrist at the end of the recovery though. Try to keep your wrist higher than your fingertips. Otherwise, the entry is nice and smooth, and you have a good reach before you hand enters the water. On the pull, good for you; you are keeping your elbows bent. At the end of the pull, your hands are turning toward your body, though, so you are losing out on that last push of water. Think about keeping your palms facing BACK, rather than towards your body. These are just a few tips for now. Whatever you do, DON'T try to fix everything all at once. Pick one think to work on or several laps before you switch to another. If you try to fix it all at once, you will just get frustrated! Over all, you are a lot better swimmer than the majority of adults out there in the world. 37% of adults can't even swim the length of a pool, so you are way beyond that! Please stick with us here on the Forums, because you will learn a lot! Good luck! :cheerleader:
Children
No Data