Love swimming but feeling beat up :(

Former Member
Former Member
So it would seem my low back is getting better now that I'm not overdoing the kickboard. I've since just switched to simple freestyle, doing about 10-20 touch and goes with fins and webbed gloves. Last week my right neck and shoulder had been bothering me as a result and it doesn't seem to be going away despite me doing stretching every day. So to date, since I have started swimming a few months ago I have had low back pain, elbow pain and now neck/shoulder pain. Everyone raves about how "low impact" swimming is- and I'd be happy to believe that because I am LOVING this new exercise- but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something terribly wrong or is this just something I need to "power through" as a newbie who is developing new muscle usage? I really hope I can get through this because swimming is so fun and my heart rate and BP have been amazing since I started in this very short time.
Parents
  • Do you do any moves to warm up your neck and shoulders, before you jump in to swim? I get some slight muscle pain around my neck, too (I think for sure for me, it's raising my head too much, I am finding breathing a real challenge!). I'm trying to remind myself to do some arm swings, and maybe neck and shoulder stretches, before I jump in to swim. Or I'll just play around in the water a bit moving gently, before really working out. It COULD also be about muscle recovery. Today, I finally remembered to sneak some of my husband's BCAA powder. I drank that instead of plain water, at the pool. I won't claim any magic from it, but, it IS supposed to help with recovery, and I figure I can use the help - I think as we age, recovery takes longer. We'll see whether it helps over the long term to use BCAAs. You'll for sure figure it out, don't let it get you down!
  • Do you do any moves to warm up your neck and shoulders, before you jump in to swim? I get some slight muscle pain around my neck, too (I think for sure for me, it's raising my head too much, I am finding breathing a real challenge!). I'm trying to remind myself to do some arm swings, and maybe neck and shoulder stretches, before I jump in to swim. Or I'll just play around in the water a bit moving gently, before really working out. It COULD also be about muscle recovery. Today, I finally remembered to sneak some of my husband's BCAA powder. I drank that instead of plain water, at the pool. I won't claim any magic from it, but, it IS supposed to help with recovery, and I figure I can use the help - I think as we age, recovery takes longer. We'll see whether it helps over the long term to use BCAAs. You'll for sure figure it out, don't let it get you down!
Children
No Data