Streamlining after flip turns- need advice on how to improve

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, all. Not sure if this topic has been covered in other threads (searched but didn't find it) so I'm hoping I can get some advice and guidance regarding my flip turns. The issue is that almost immediately after kicking off the wall from my flip turns I feel desperate for air, which forces me to end my streamlining sooner than I should just so that I can take a breath. Additionally, doing a flutter kick or dolphin kick while streamlining makes me feel even more fatigued, which makes me break for air even sooner. The result is that I feel like I spend most of the next lap recovering from the flip turn rather than building on the momentum I should be getting from it. Also, obviously, decreased streamlining means I'm exerting more energy, as I have to swim farther (i.e., higher stroke count per lap). Are there any drills or workouts I should be focusing on to improve in this area? For reference, when swimming I breathe every third stroke but I'm really bad about not breathing into or out of the turns (i.e., I breathe right before the turn and then have to take two breaths immediately out of the turn since I feel so desperate to breathe). Is this just a mental thing I need to overcome? If so, any advice on how I can get over it? Thanks in advance for any help. Let me know if I can provide any further info to explain the issue.
Parents
  • I would add two things. First, Your air will come with practice. Remember to focus on a good streamline starting now. Once you get your air right, the streamline is incredibly important. Work on it every single turn. The closest thing to a drill I can think of would be to do a set of 25's with and turn and breakout at the end of each one. Focus on the push-off, streamline and breakout at the beginning. Do the rest of the 25 at about 80%, then do a turn with another good, strong push-off, streamline and breakout. You can then either go back to the wall, or finish the 50 very easily. Take plenty of rest, and repeat, at least 10 times. Good turns are a great way to improve your swimming times with very little effort. You are right to start working on them early.
  • I would add two things. First, Your air will come with practice. Remember to focus on a good streamline starting now. Once you get your air right, the streamline is incredibly important. Work on it every single turn. The closest thing to a drill I can think of would be to do a set of 25's with and turn and breakout at the end of each one. Focus on the push-off, streamline and breakout at the beginning. Do the rest of the 25 at about 80%, then do a turn with another good, strong push-off, streamline and breakout. You can then either go back to the wall, or finish the 50 very easily. Take plenty of rest, and repeat, at least 10 times. Good turns are a great way to improve your swimming times with very little effort. You are right to start working on them early.
Children
No Data