hypoxic training: increase # of strokes vs. timed workout

Former Member
Former Member
Which approach to hypoxic training is better for distance swimming: increasing the number of strokes or trying to swim faster during the hypoxic set? Part of my training includes 500m (lcm), alternating breathing each length - 5 strokes one way, 7 coming back etc. This has become comfortable and I was wondering which of the two approaches should I use? increasing to one breath/ 9 strokes, i.e. doing 7/9 lengths keeping the 5/7 approach and try to improve my time for the set What are the +/ - of each approach? Many thanks!
Parents
  • If you run, do you hold your breath? Actually sometimes yes. Sprinters in the 100m don't breathe...and they practice it. In the 200m, they usually inhale just one time mid-race. Distance runners often do breathless wind sprints to help improve lung capacity and oxygen usage. Dan
  • If you run, do you hold your breath? Actually sometimes yes. Sprinters in the 100m don't breathe...and they practice it. In the 200m, they usually inhale just one time mid-race. Distance runners often do breathless wind sprints to help improve lung capacity and oxygen usage. Dan
Children
No Data