Training for the long haul

A few days ago I stopped doing a particular type of set in my workouts because I wasn't enjoying them. I have done that a couple of times before and several times I have changed sets or dropped out sets due to injuries/pain.That got me thinking about sustainability. I have been swimming Masters and competing for 43 years. About 25 years ago I set my goal to set World Records in the 3 Breaststrokes in the 100-104 age groups. To do that I must first live that long. That is certainly not something I can count on, and many things are out of my control. I can control what I eat, how much I sleep, what supplements I take and what risks I am willing to take. Then I must get to that age without any disabilities that preclude my swimming. That is a similar mix of things I can control and things I can't. Lastly I have to still want to swim and to compete. That is the purpose of this post. If you are in it for the long haul, your workouts must be sustainable both physically and mentally. Can you imagine doing the type of workouts you are doing for 60 or more years? Can you imagine enjoying them. If not,maybe you should be doing different workouts.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    A few days ago I stopped doing a particular type of set in my workouts because I wasn't enjoying them. I have done that a couple of times before and several times I have changed sets or dropped out sets due to injuries/pain.That got me thinking about sustainability. I have been swimming Masters and competing for 43 years. About 25 years ago I set my goal to set World Records in the 3 Breaststrokes in the 100-104 age groups. To do that I must first live that long. That is certainly not something I can count on, and many things are out of my control. I can control what I eat, how much I sleep, what supplements I take and what risks I am willing to take. Then I must get to that age without any disabilities that preclude my swimming. That is a similar mix of things I can control and things I can't. Lastly I have to still want to swim and to compete. That is the purpose of this post. If you are in it for the long haul, your workouts must be sustainable both physically and mentally. Can you imagine doing the type of workouts you are doing for 60 or more years? Can you imagine enjoying them. If not,maybe you should be doing different workouts. Well, the best I did in swimming was an adult in 2003 where I swam the long course races of breaststroke of 46 in the 50 meter and 100 meter at 1:43 for breaststroke. I took off several years from meets after 2,005 and rarely workout after 2,005 until last year for the senor Olympics in Tucson where i Slowed down a lot in the 55 to 59 age group at 51 seconds in 50 yard breaststroke and 100 yard at 1:48. I just did the senior Olympics to get medals. I think I will do it next year but my mother is ill and if she dies I have to deal with closing her accounts and selling off furniture in her apartment.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    A few days ago I stopped doing a particular type of set in my workouts because I wasn't enjoying them. I have done that a couple of times before and several times I have changed sets or dropped out sets due to injuries/pain.That got me thinking about sustainability. I have been swimming Masters and competing for 43 years. About 25 years ago I set my goal to set World Records in the 3 Breaststrokes in the 100-104 age groups. To do that I must first live that long. That is certainly not something I can count on, and many things are out of my control. I can control what I eat, how much I sleep, what supplements I take and what risks I am willing to take. Then I must get to that age without any disabilities that preclude my swimming. That is a similar mix of things I can control and things I can't. Lastly I have to still want to swim and to compete. That is the purpose of this post. If you are in it for the long haul, your workouts must be sustainable both physically and mentally. Can you imagine doing the type of workouts you are doing for 60 or more years? Can you imagine enjoying them. If not,maybe you should be doing different workouts. Well, the best I did in swimming was an adult in 2003 where I swam the long course races of breaststroke of 46 in the 50 meter and 100 meter at 1:43 for breaststroke. I took off several years from meets after 2,005 and rarely workout after 2,005 until last year for the senor Olympics in Tucson where i Slowed down a lot in the 55 to 59 age group at 51 seconds in 50 yard breaststroke and 100 yard at 1:48. I just did the senior Olympics to get medals. I think I will do it next year but my mother is ill and if she dies I have to deal with closing her accounts and selling off furniture in her apartment.
Children
No Data