Training for the long haul

A few days ago I stopped doing a particular type of set in my workouts because I wasn't enjoying them. I have done that a couple of times before and several times I have changed sets or dropped out sets due to injuries/pain.That got me thinking about sustainability. I have been swimming Masters and competing for 43 years. About 25 years ago I set my goal to set World Records in the 3 Breaststrokes in the 100-104 age groups. To do that I must first live that long. That is certainly not something I can count on, and many things are out of my control. I can control what I eat, how much I sleep, what supplements I take and what risks I am willing to take. Then I must get to that age without any disabilities that preclude my swimming. That is a similar mix of things I can control and things I can't. Lastly I have to still want to swim and to compete. That is the purpose of this post. If you are in it for the long haul, your workouts must be sustainable both physically and mentally. Can you imagine doing the type of workouts you are doing for 60 or more years? Can you imagine enjoying them. If not,maybe you should be doing different workouts.
Parents
  • I hear you LOUD and CLEAR, King Frog. You just took all the words out of my head! We have had many PM's back and forth about this very thing. It has been two months since I aggravated the scar tissue from hip surgery (again) and had my land-based elbow and shoulder injuries join me in the pool. I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My hip is back about 80%, and my shoulder is pain-free; however, my doctor wants me laying off full butterfly and backstroke awhile longer. My elbow tendonitis will take longer to heal; however, it's headed in the right direction. After having to miss National Senior Games again (I missed 2015 due to recovering from my hip surgery) and having to sit out Nationals next month, I have done a lot of soul searching. I was broken-hearted about missing both events, and I was depressed. Bruce has warned me many times about the intensity of my training, knowing how susceptible my body is to repetitive stress injuries. I have had too many over the years, and enough is enough. We had some long talks over the past two months, and he said, "You always say that you want to grow up to be just like Anne (Dunivin, my 100 year-old teammate). If you want to grow up to be like Anne, you're going to have to dial it down! No more USRPT and no more 6 days/week training. On alternate days, get in the pool and play, float, join the noodlers, or walk if you want... anything but train! He's right. King Frog, I, too, want to keep swimming as long as I am alive. I'm afraid my family genes might not allow me to grow up to be like Anne; however, I am doing everything I can within MY power to try. If I am lucky, I will defy my heredity and be swimming into my 100's. In my case, although I mentally LOVED USRPT and had success with the sets while I lasted, my mind is much more willing than my body. My autoimmune issues just don't allow me to stress my body in that way, so I had to give them up. From now on, I won't be able to set time goals the way I have in the past, because I won't be able to train at the intensity I would need to in order to achieve those goals. From now on, I will be swimming my races, instead of racing them. THAT is how I will achieve longevity in the sport I love.
  • I hear you LOUD and CLEAR, King Frog. You just took all the words out of my head! We have had many PM's back and forth about this very thing. It has been two months since I aggravated the scar tissue from hip surgery (again) and had my land-based elbow and shoulder injuries join me in the pool. I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My hip is back about 80%, and my shoulder is pain-free; however, my doctor wants me laying off full butterfly and backstroke awhile longer. My elbow tendonitis will take longer to heal; however, it's headed in the right direction. After having to miss National Senior Games again (I missed 2015 due to recovering from my hip surgery) and having to sit out Nationals next month, I have done a lot of soul searching. I was broken-hearted about missing both events, and I was depressed. Bruce has warned me many times about the intensity of my training, knowing how susceptible my body is to repetitive stress injuries. I have had too many over the years, and enough is enough. We had some long talks over the past two months, and he said, "You always say that you want to grow up to be just like Anne (Dunivin, my 100 year-old teammate). If you want to grow up to be like Anne, you're going to have to dial it down! No more USRPT and no more 6 days/week training. On alternate days, get in the pool and play, float, join the noodlers, or walk if you want... anything but train! He's right. King Frog, I, too, want to keep swimming as long as I am alive. I'm afraid my family genes might not allow me to grow up to be like Anne; however, I am doing everything I can within MY power to try. If I am lucky, I will defy my heredity and be swimming into my 100's. In my case, although I mentally LOVED USRPT and had success with the sets while I lasted, my mind is much more willing than my body. My autoimmune issues just don't allow me to stress my body in that way, so I had to give them up. From now on, I won't be able to set time goals the way I have in the past, because I won't be able to train at the intensity I would need to in order to achieve those goals. From now on, I will be swimming my races, instead of racing them. THAT is how I will achieve longevity in the sport I love.
Children
No Data