Do you have a recovery strategy after tough workouts?

This is something I never really gave much thought towards when I was younger, given that as a teenager banging out 6k and 7k workouts, usually twice a day, didn't seem that hard. Nowadays though (late 30s), post-workout recovery is taken more seriously. Not necessarily because I want to get back to the pool ASAP, but because I don't want to be a human pile-up over the course of the day after a hard AM swim. For me, my recovery routine ends up including: 1. Always doing at least ten minutes of warming down. I feel noticeably better in the hours after a hard practice if I spend some time doing easy swimming at the end of my session. 2. Packing a post-workout shake and banana. Takes about ten seconds to do, and it's waiting right there in my swim bag post swim. 3. Hitting the pillows and blanky like they owe me money. Where possible, of course. 4. A scotch at night. Master's prerogative, as they say. What are you doing to make sure that you are recovering quickly after practice?
Parents
  • I really need to try the banana and protein shake after the 4500m+ workouts. The problem is that the harder the workout, the less hungry I am. I never really want to eat until at least a couple of hours later. I've noticed this as well. The hunger usually comes after an hour or two out of the water, but in the immediate aftermath a banana and a shake is about all I can stomach.
  • I really need to try the banana and protein shake after the 4500m+ workouts. The problem is that the harder the workout, the less hungry I am. I never really want to eat until at least a couple of hours later. I've noticed this as well. The hunger usually comes after an hour or two out of the water, but in the immediate aftermath a banana and a shake is about all I can stomach.
Children
No Data