This coach had his swimmers going 36k a day for a week

Thought at least some of you distance folk might get a kick out of this story about Jay DeHart, a coach who in the summer of 1995 had his swimmers build up to a "distance challenge" week where they did 36k a day for 7 days.... That's 252,000m for the week... The story goes back to an article that was published in the November/December 1995 issue of Swimming Technique magazine, featuring an American coach named Jay DeHart. Over the course of late fall to spring of 1994/1995 he decided to take a group of seven volunteer swimmers, and had them train every day of the week. During this period they took only two days off (Christmas and New Years), and on Saturdays would do “distance challenge” days where they would swim between 12,000 and 17,000m. This would lead them into a week of training that would start once school ended, and they’d have the full day to swim and recover. “It would cover seven straight days, three, four, and sometimes five sessions per day – swimming an average of nine hours per day, and close to 36,000 meters per day,” wrote DeHart. But what about the shoulders? The thought of doing this kind of mileage probably makes anyone who has ever had bad shoulders from swimming recoil a little bit. DeHart emphasized that stroke technique would not falter over the course of the workouts, and that shoulder soreness would be dealt with a pre-determined procedure. “Once we got into the training, the kids were pretty tired after the first day of 36,000 meters. But it wasn’t until completion of the second day that they really started to enter into the valley of fatigue. It was there they spent the next five full days, their minds and bodies questioning the very cores of their mental and physical constitutions and previous preparation for greatness. There was complaining. There were revelations. But each time our toughness and team support rose to meet the challenges.” (Emphasis mine.) How did the swimmers end up doing? Prior to this season of highly elevated training his elite squad had only found mild success, with a couple swimmers qualifying for Juniors, “while the rest of the kids were struggling with Senior Regional level meets.” At the Speedo Junior Nationals later that summer in Tempe, Arizona, DeHart would send just five girls and return with the women’s team championship. The improvements were epic. One swimmer dropped 8 seconds in her 100 breaststroke to place second amongst a field of much older swimmers, and dropped 17 seconds on her 200 breaststroke to qualify for Olympic Trials. “Corrie Murphy won the 1500m in 16:55.15 and placed 2nd in the 400 free with 4:19 48 – both times were Olympic Trials qualifying times. Other swimmers were equally as successful: Karen Jacobs reduced her 800 freestyle time by 26 seconds to 9:00.71 and her 400 IM best time dropped by 18 seconds to 4:55.55. Hayley Thompson reduced her 100m *** time by 8 seconds to 1:13.68 and knocked 17 seconds off her 200 time (2:37.73).” While the times on the scoreboard were impressive, it was the confidence and toughness that come from that exceptionally high amount of training that stuck with him. "Most importantly, the kids developed a sense of toughness that will carry with them further still. They want more than ever to train and compete. And for myself, I won’t stand for anyone telling me they know what an athlete’s limit is before that athlete has been tested." So what happened next? This kind of training was not without controversy, as you can probably guess. The club board got together and fired him. The team itself, the Husky Swim Club, formerly based out of Seattle, Washington, doesn’t seem to be around. The last club results I’ve been able to find online were from 2002, and from all indications, Jay DeHart has been long out of the sport, frustrated with a system that punishes innovation, “particularly if the innovation looks like hard work.”
Parents
  • i saw the headline and laughed. thats just 1 week. you really dont want to know what the blue and gold yardage gods did for 9 weeks straight. but the results of *our* team spoke the loudest 1984 Olympics - results 1500m - Mike O'brien - GOLD 800m - Tiffany Cohen - GOLD we could stop right there...no team has ever produced BOTH the mens and womens distance GOLD medalists before but out of the top 16 in the mens 1500m, 7 of them swam with us. not to mention those that would make the team years later! 4x200m free relay - Rich Saeger - GOLD 400m - Tiffany Cohen - GOLD 200m Butterfly - T - do i really need to say my lanemates full name? Mary T Meagher - GOLD 100m Butterfly - T - GOLD 200m Backstroke - Amy White - Silver - my other lanemate every afternoon 4x100m free relay - Dara Torres - GOLD 4x100m medley relay - T - GOLD last american to win the 1500m before mikeo? oh that's easy it would be Brian Goodell - GOLD also from MVN!!! shocker..NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the only 2 american men to win the 1500m in the last 35 years It was 36,000m per day. For a full week. Not 36k for the week. They were doing some pretty solid yardage in the lead-up to that week as well, including 12-17k Saturdays.
  • i saw the headline and laughed. thats just 1 week. you really dont want to know what the blue and gold yardage gods did for 9 weeks straight. but the results of *our* team spoke the loudest 1984 Olympics - results 1500m - Mike O'brien - GOLD 800m - Tiffany Cohen - GOLD we could stop right there...no team has ever produced BOTH the mens and womens distance GOLD medalists before but out of the top 16 in the mens 1500m, 7 of them swam with us. not to mention those that would make the team years later! 4x200m free relay - Rich Saeger - GOLD 400m - Tiffany Cohen - GOLD 200m Butterfly - T - do i really need to say my lanemates full name? Mary T Meagher - GOLD 100m Butterfly - T - GOLD 200m Backstroke - Amy White - Silver - my other lanemate every afternoon 4x100m free relay - Dara Torres - GOLD 4x100m medley relay - T - GOLD last american to win the 1500m before mikeo? oh that's easy it would be Brian Goodell - GOLD also from MVN!!! shocker..NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the only 2 american men to win the 1500m in the last 35 years It was 36,000m per day. For a full week. Not 36k for the week. They were doing some pretty solid yardage in the lead-up to that week as well, including 12-17k Saturdays.
Children
No Data