Salt Water Pools and Records

Someone told me salt water pools are now disqualified from USMS records and Top Ten eligibility. Is this true? I can't find any reference to this in the rule book.
Parents
  • Well, I haven't heard nor seen anything relating to that. But, I guess it'd make sense...to a degree. Salt water provides more buoyancy and thereby would make 'a' swimmer faster in salt water than in other waters. But what is "salt water"? If I put a dash of salt in an Olympic-size pool does that make is salt water? Maybe it's like the USTAF/IAAF rule for wind-aided events. But in that case wind is allowed up to a certain speed. So, WRT swimming and salt water, I would say that IF such a rules exists it should state the definition of "salt water." Because, not all salt water contains the same amount of salt. The rule should state that water up to a certain mg/L or ppm is allowable for records. I did come across this: cssf.usc.edu/.../J0117.pdf Dan
  • Well, I haven't heard nor seen anything relating to that. But, I guess it'd make sense...to a degree. Salt water provides more buoyancy and thereby would make 'a' swimmer faster in salt water than in other waters. But what is "salt water"? If I put a dash of salt in an Olympic-size pool does that make is salt water? Maybe it's like the USTAF/IAAF rule for wind-aided events. But in that case wind is allowed up to a certain speed. So, WRT swimming and salt water, I would say that IF such a rules exists it should state the definition of "salt water." Because, not all salt water contains the same amount of salt. The rule should state that water up to a certain mg/L or ppm is allowable for records. I did come across this: cssf.usc.edu/.../J0117.pdf Dan
Children
No Data