Making the best of things while traveling

I was recently skiing in Colorado (late season trip to A-Basin). I stayed in a hotel with a 50-foot long outdoor pool. In four days, I managed two workouts where I swam about 120 laps (2000 yards) each time. Lots of turns! Anyone else with a similar experience? In breaststroke, after my pullout, it took me only 3-4 strokes to complete the lap. How much effort do folks make to find regulation pools while traveling? When I was in Whistler, I actually found a town rec center that had a 25-meter pool.
Parents
  • I've swum in many pools in the ~15 yard to ~22 yard range when that was the only thing available for a workout. Just this week, I dropped into the pretty darn nice East Oakland Sports Center and found one of the most random pool lengths - 21.5 meters! My lower limit on length is right about the 15 yard range. Mind you, even in that 20-23 yard range, the pool feels very short, but something is better than nothing. I've said this many times before, but www.swimmersguide.com and the USMS places to swim tool are the traveling-swimmers' best tools for locating a pool. While there is a good deal of overlap between these two tools, each of them, depending upon the city you are in, will often have a pool (or a few) that the others don't.
  • I've swum in many pools in the ~15 yard to ~22 yard range when that was the only thing available for a workout. Just this week, I dropped into the pretty darn nice East Oakland Sports Center and found one of the most random pool lengths - 21.5 meters! My lower limit on length is right about the 15 yard range. Mind you, even in that 20-23 yard range, the pool feels very short, but something is better than nothing. I've said this many times before, but www.swimmersguide.com and the USMS places to swim tool are the traveling-swimmers' best tools for locating a pool. While there is a good deal of overlap between these two tools, each of them, depending upon the city you are in, will often have a pool (or a few) that the others don't.
Children
No Data