Making the best of things while traveling

I was recently skiing in Colorado (late season trip to A-Basin). I stayed in a hotel with a 50-foot long outdoor pool. In four days, I managed two workouts where I swam about 120 laps (2000 yards) each time. Lots of turns! Anyone else with a similar experience? In breaststroke, after my pullout, it took me only 3-4 strokes to complete the lap. How much effort do folks make to find regulation pools while traveling? When I was in Whistler, I actually found a town rec center that had a 25-meter pool.
Parents
  • I was in Ontario the last xmas break. There was a 25 m community indoor pool near my in-laws, where we were staying. I figured, its cold out, its the suburbs, holiday season, nobody was going to be there, I am totally going there every morning. Boy was I wrong. It was packed. There were clearly marked lanes, slow, medium, fast. I observed the pace on the fast lane and decided, alright, I will get on that lane. But there were 6 other people, and they were going really slow. And they weren't doing circle swim, more like figure 8 swim. I had several near death collisions. I just couldn't swim at all. So I gave up and didn't go back to swim ever again. Then I had to travel for work, I picked a hotel that had a pool. Of course, when I called, nobody there knew the size of the pool. So I decided to give it a try anyways. I think it was close to a 15 m pool, I don't even know what shape the pool was. It was not designed for lap swimming. Since then, I haven't been very optimistic about swimming while travelling. I've read some of the blogs, and I've noticed that people do visit and workout with other master clubs while travelling. How does that work?
  • I was in Ontario the last xmas break. There was a 25 m community indoor pool near my in-laws, where we were staying. I figured, its cold out, its the suburbs, holiday season, nobody was going to be there, I am totally going there every morning. Boy was I wrong. It was packed. There were clearly marked lanes, slow, medium, fast. I observed the pace on the fast lane and decided, alright, I will get on that lane. But there were 6 other people, and they were going really slow. And they weren't doing circle swim, more like figure 8 swim. I had several near death collisions. I just couldn't swim at all. So I gave up and didn't go back to swim ever again. Then I had to travel for work, I picked a hotel that had a pool. Of course, when I called, nobody there knew the size of the pool. So I decided to give it a try anyways. I think it was close to a 15 m pool, I don't even know what shape the pool was. It was not designed for lap swimming. Since then, I haven't been very optimistic about swimming while travelling. I've read some of the blogs, and I've noticed that people do visit and workout with other master clubs while travelling. How does that work?
Children
No Data