How tight should a new ladies practice suit be?

Newbie Question here: I've been swimming regularly with a Masters group for about a year and a half now and have gone through a couple suits. I did learn, even before the recent swimmer magazine article, that polyester practice suits hold up longer. I recently had a a near miss with a wardrobe malfunction while diving off the blocks in my aging Dolphin Uglies suit. the very same suit was so uncomfortably tight when new that I avoided wearing it until my other suit wore out and left me no choice. Now it has stretched out to be probably a full size larger - yet it otherwise looks fine with no thinning and little pilling or fading. I had the same problem with my previous polyester practice suit. Do people usually buy practice suits super tight in anticipation of stretching or get them to fit correctly when new? I am aware that competition suits are supposed to be super tight, but I'm not fast enough for that to matter yet.
Parents
  • I like them tight enough that I don't feel a lot of drag in practice. Sometimes endurance suits with wide straps can be really tight at first (maybe those with a longer torso feel it more). If you have a suit with thinner straps that has stretched out you can always tie a small knot in the straps to make them tighter.
  • I like them tight enough that I don't feel a lot of drag in practice. Sometimes endurance suits with wide straps can be really tight at first (maybe those with a longer torso feel it more). If you have a suit with thinner straps that has stretched out you can always tie a small knot in the straps to make them tighter.
Children
No Data