50 Meters vs 25 yards

My "home" pool is a 25 yard pool. I recently swam in a 50 meter pool. I loved it, but found that my pace (adjusted to min per 100 yds) was about 15% slower than in my usual 25 yd pool pace. Do more frequent turns typically aid your speed? Thanks!
Parents
  • Yes, each turn is worth roughly one second, so you're giving up a couple seconds per hundred just on the turns. A meter is about 9% longer than a yard. Add it up and a 15% difference is probably about right. I think most conversion tools would say a 1:00 100 yard free swim is about 1:08-1:09 for long course meters, so about 13-15% slower. Because of the extra distance and fewer turns as Kirk explains, your energy systems need to train to support this longer and more difficult (more continuous from reduced number of turns) effort.
  • Yes, each turn is worth roughly one second, so you're giving up a couple seconds per hundred just on the turns. A meter is about 9% longer than a yard. Add it up and a 15% difference is probably about right. I think most conversion tools would say a 1:00 100 yard free swim is about 1:08-1:09 for long course meters, so about 13-15% slower. Because of the extra distance and fewer turns as Kirk explains, your energy systems need to train to support this longer and more difficult (more continuous from reduced number of turns) effort.
Children
No Data