Do swimmers need to eat a special diet?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a 17-year-old son who is a professional swimmer. I’m wondering, does he need to follow a particular diet or can he eat anything? In this photo from Michael Phelps’ Instagram it looks like his diet isn’t too restrictive.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    5K calories a day is not uncommon for a growing boy. Depending on yardage... calories in and calories out, is a good formula for some guidance. The typically practice burns up about 1200 calories. ...so add that number on top of the daily recommended average of 2500 to 3000 per day and you won't be overfeeding. I recall having at least three slices of pizza with a quart of milk at age 17 for lunch...or at the very least (2) tuna sandwiches, bananas, and cookies, and anything else. It got to the point that eating was almost a chore because it took so long!! ...We were swimming about 8,000 to 10,000 yards per day back in the 70's. It was the medieval days. This pdf has some good information...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    5K calories a day is not uncommon for a growing boy. Depending on yardage... calories in and calories out, is a good formula for some guidance. The typically practice burns up about 1200 calories. ...so add that number on top of the daily recommended average of 2500 to 3000 per day and you won't be overfeeding. I recall having at least three slices of pizza with a quart of milk at age 17 for lunch...or at the very least (2) tuna sandwiches, bananas, and cookies, and anything else. It got to the point that eating was almost a chore because it took so long!! ...We were swimming about 8,000 to 10,000 yards per day back in the 70's. It was the medieval days. This pdf has some good information...
Children
No Data