Do swimmers need to eat a special diet?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a 17-year-old son who is a professional swimmer. I’m wondering, does he need to follow a particular diet or can he eat anything? In this photo from Michael Phelps’ Instagram it looks like his diet isn’t too restrictive.
Parents
  • Jessie, although it appears as if sickfish was overemphasizing a point :rolleyes:, the flip side of taking that point seriously is that your son could set himself up for a lifetime of obesity, diabetes and/or other serious health issues if you don't encourage a healthy diet now. He won't be a competitive swimmer forever, so if he sets himself up with bad eating habits now, he could end up paying for it with bad health down the road. :nono: Obsessing over diet, however, could lead to mental health issues as well. :chillpill: If he were my son, I would encourage a healthy, well-rounded diet for a majority of his nutritional intake and an occasional splurges for the rest. :dinner: As an example, I maintain a mostly healthy diet, but I can't live without chocolate! :afraid: As for Dan's comment above, at least consult with your son's coach. :agree:
  • Jessie, although it appears as if sickfish was overemphasizing a point :rolleyes:, the flip side of taking that point seriously is that your son could set himself up for a lifetime of obesity, diabetes and/or other serious health issues if you don't encourage a healthy diet now. He won't be a competitive swimmer forever, so if he sets himself up with bad eating habits now, he could end up paying for it with bad health down the road. :nono: Obsessing over diet, however, could lead to mental health issues as well. :chillpill: If he were my son, I would encourage a healthy, well-rounded diet for a majority of his nutritional intake and an occasional splurges for the rest. :dinner: As an example, I maintain a mostly healthy diet, but I can't live without chocolate! :afraid: As for Dan's comment above, at least consult with your son's coach. :agree:
Children
No Data