Do swimmers need to eat a special diet?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a 17-year-old son who is a professional swimmer. I’m wondering, does he need to follow a particular diet or can he eat anything? In this photo from Michael Phelps’ Instagram it looks like his diet isn’t too restrictive.
Parents
  • He's 17. He should eat as much pizza as possible. Also nachos and cheeseburgers. The nachos should come at least ten minutes before the burgers to ensure maximum sodium uptake. He should also focus on drinking at least 64 ounces of non-diet soda each day, preferably Coke, as it has less HFCS than Pepsi. You may also want to ask him if he'd consider eating fried chicken and/or frozen burritos for breakfast. If he's out late with friends, I'd recommend Denny's. The "moons over my hammy" is just full of protein, with eggs, ham and cheese. And the cheesecake for dessert will give him the extra calorie reserves he'll need to make it through two-a-day workouts. This is what I ate when I was 17. And now I'm having lifetime best times at 38.
  • He's 17. He should eat as much pizza as possible. Also nachos and cheeseburgers. The nachos should come at least ten minutes before the burgers to ensure maximum sodium uptake. He should also focus on drinking at least 64 ounces of non-diet soda each day, preferably Coke, as it has less HFCS than Pepsi. You may also want to ask him if he'd consider eating fried chicken and/or frozen burritos for breakfast. If he's out late with friends, I'd recommend Denny's. The "moons over my hammy" is just full of protein, with eggs, ham and cheese. And the cheesecake for dessert will give him the extra calorie reserves he'll need to make it through two-a-day workouts. This is what I ate when I was 17. And now I'm having lifetime best times at 38.
Children
No Data