USMS Swimmers in USA Swim Meets & Rules for starts

Hi everyone, I am an unattached swimmer who is looking to enter meets soon. Do master swimmers have to stick to only competing in masters swim meets or can we branch out to meets listed on USA Swimming (I am aware that many require qualifying times)? Second, I noticed if I am not accompanied by a coach many meets require that the swimmer be certified as proficient in starts...Below is a clip from one of the meets I was looking at. Has anyone ever done this or know the process? "Any swimmer entered in the meet must be certified by a USA Swimming member-coach as being proficient in performing a racing start or must start each race from within the water. When unaccompanied by a member-coach, it is the responsibility if the swimmer or the swimmer’s legal guardian to ensure compliance with this requirement." Any info would be great!!
Parents
  • Since I was a USA Swimming coach for awhile, I can provide information on the diving. USA Swimming requires paperwork that a swimmer is certified to dive from the blocks before they can do it in a meet. So this clause has been added to most USA Swimming meets because they want to make sure a swimmer can actually dive before trying it in a meet. I personally have swam once in a co-sanctioned meet and asked the clerk of course before hand if they needed to witness my start, and they said no. Basically I believe that this is just to help them if you get hurt on a start you can't come back and blame them. Mark
  • Since I was a USA Swimming coach for awhile, I can provide information on the diving. USA Swimming requires paperwork that a swimmer is certified to dive from the blocks before they can do it in a meet. So this clause has been added to most USA Swimming meets because they want to make sure a swimmer can actually dive before trying it in a meet. I personally have swam once in a co-sanctioned meet and asked the clerk of course before hand if they needed to witness my start, and they said no. Basically I believe that this is just to help them if you get hurt on a start you can't come back and blame them. Mark
Children
No Data